AVIC411.com

Improper Navigation

I too am having horrible experiences with the routing while using my Z2. I like the idea of having one machine that does it all with a clean install (my dash looked like a pasta bowl of wires before I had my Z2 installed) - but at this point, it is just the IDEA that I like.

Pure and simple - a unit costing this much should be able to route as well as a $300-$400 handheld. To those that argue that most people don't buy this unit as a Navigation System, I would counter with the fact that Pioneer sells this as a Navigation System with AV functions, not an AV System with Navigation functions - by their own admission, the Nav feature is the primary feature of this unit. In my opinion, it is the poorest feature.

A little background is in order. Perhaps I am spoiled. I have been using a Garmin Nuvi 360 for well over a year and I am very happy with it. My new car came without an AUX IN port, so I needed to use RF to listen to my aftermarket Sirius and my iPod. This created poor audio and a myriad of wires - thus cluttering up the front seat of my new car. With a little research (evidently not enough), the Z2 seemed to be my salvation. When I got it installed (with the Bluetooth, iPod, AV-in, and Sirius options as well as some custom work to get it to integrate with the rear DVD system), I knew that there would be a learning curve. When a business trip came up, I decided that it would be a good opportunity to get used to it.

I left the Fredericksburg, VA area to Cincinnati. It routed me a path that ended up taking over an hour longer than my Garmin would do and then missed the destination by almost 1/2 mile. The next leg of my trip was to Charleston, WV (I know it is backtracking, my schedule required it). Knowing that it would send me the wrong way, I took the Garmin's advice until I got to Huntington, WV. Then, I sat back in wonder while the Z2 constantly told me to get off the interstate (straight line to Charleston) and take back roads the whole way!

From there, I drove to Akron, OH. Although it missed my destination again by about 0.3 miles (and the wrong side of a divided highway), it managed to keep me on the interstate all the way here.

In each location, I have typed exact addresses and this system has yet to get ANY of them right (within 10-20 stuctures). The GPS, itself, seems very good, however. I am where the map says that I am (although the map data seems extremely outdated). They advertise this 20 GB of POI and map data, and is NO WHERE NEAR as accurate or thourough as my Nuvi (solid state. About 1 GB).

As for the interface, I'm hoping that I still just need to get used to it. I can enter an address or destination and route to it with my Nuvi in about 30 seconds. To do so with the Z2 takes much longer. How do I easily say, "take me to the nearest Starbucks?" or "Find a restaurant near my routed path through Columbus?" These are really easy to do with the Garmin. I don't know - maybe Garmin should just start making car systems.

I have spent a hugh amount of money on this system. The hardware is all there. The software (especially the routing software) is inexcusibly lacking. The worst part is that if my wife finds out how disappointed I am, she will never let me hear the end of it! Pioneer, please fix this software!