AVIC411.com

Replacing 2003 Expedition Navigation w/ Z2 (Sound Question)

I think I have found just about everything I need here. Great forum!

The only thing I need to know is about hooking up the speakers.

I know I have a SUB in the rear and a speaker in each door. It looks to me like my new AVIC Z2 can only feed 4 speakers or 2 plus a Sub Woofer.

I was thinking I could use the speaker outputs on the Z2 for my 4 door speakers and then purchase a sub-woofer amp and connect my existing sub-woofer with an aftermarket sub-woofer power amp through the RCA output.

Does this make sense?

Greg

WWhat you need is a harness that connects the 4 main speakers to the avic, then has a separate plug that has rca's to connect to the factory subwoofer amp. You will also need a 2 k-ohm resistor to convert the avic's 12 volt remote out to the ford 5 volt remote in. Any good stereo shop should have this harness in stock. Just tell them you need to connect to your factory premium sound system.

Here is the part number you need, it has both the main harness and sub harness. Scosche - FDK11B, you can get it at any Best Buy, Circuit, Car toys. Yes your expedition has a separate amp for your sub, on the sub harness be sure to connect the remote turn on lead. Its the blue/white wire.

Here is the part number you need, it has both the main harness and sub harness. Scosche - FDK11B, you can get it at any Best Buy, Circuit, Car toys. Yes your expedition has a separate amp for your sub, on the sub harness be sure to connect the remote turn on lead. Its the blue/white wire.

When I go to the sites that sell the FDK11B they list it only for 2004 and later. Is that going to work with my 2003 Navigation unit?

greg

the harness you need is the metra 70-5519 i believe. its a blue package and had the regular power/speaker harness, the square plug you dont really need, and a smaller square plug which will come with directions on how to hook up that sub. also, the 2 k resistor thing is only needed if the sub pops upon turning it on and off. sometimes you don't need it bro.

I wish I had seen your reply before driving to Best Buy last night and finding that they only carry METRA and not Scosche.

I just want to get this job done on Saturday. Once I have my Expedition all torn apart, I won't have a car to go driving around looking for parts.

The guys that sold me my Z2 sold me the FDK9 which has no RCA connectors. Last night I ordered the FDK11 from the same guys. I will have both of them. I found conflicting info on the FDK11 fitting 2003. Its only $10 so who cares.

I will probably also go back to Best Buy and see if I can pick up the Metra 70-5519

Thanks to all for the help!

Greg

... and a smaller square plug which will come with directions on how to hook up that sub. also, the 2 k resistor thing is only needed if the sub pops upon turning it on and off. sometimes you don't need it bro.

If I do need that 2k R, how do I hook it up? Signal to ground?

Is it just to make the power to the Sub come on slower?

Greg