AVIC411.com

installation (advice needed)

So i'm about to go and order the avic d3, many thanks to those who shared some tips on this forum !

I'm wondering if i should go with ordering all the parts i need online and do the installation myself (my real worries are : connections to the wheel controls and the VSS reading : which for both I do have no clue on how to proceed) or if i should pay more and buy at a store like future shop (or best buy) get a 'professional' do the installation or if i should order the piece (unit + BT + ipod +++) and find someone to do the install.

Anyone in Montreal care about some recommandation for a pro doing installation ?

thanks in advance

Do it yourself and save the money. Hooking up the steering wheel adapter isn't that hard.

And you don't need to hook up the VSS. In fact, I would recommend you don't hook it up.

Just out of curiousity Necro.. Why would you recommend not hooking up the vss wire? I just recently did my install with the bypass "thanks to this forum" and did hook up the vss wire. Im just wondering what would the advantage be to not hook it up?

Ray

There is an advantage TO connecting. In all of the navagation installs I have done I can count on one hand how many I have not connected the VSS. And no, I didn't start this carrer last month. Remember the old Alpine CD-ROM system? I do. I say connect it WHENEVER possible. Most vehicles, it is not that hard.

By the way, it makes the AVICs alot smoother when the VSS is connected. And God forbid you go through a tunnel and lolose GPS signal for more that 500 ft.

Just my $.02.

yeah i would hook up the vss wire. i always hook them up whenever possible. the unit gets a better sense of where you actually are instead of trying to run solely off the gps signal, and if it looses that signal then it just tries to guess if youre still moving at a certain speed. the vss tells the unit exactly how fast youre going so that it knows when youre moving and when youre not, and how fast the vehicle is going.

• 4 months later...

Hi Guys,

First of all, thank you very much for all your help. I'll have my mind set to the D3.

I am getting my cx-7 in 2 or 3 days and was wondering if somebody had a recommendation on who could get the work done in Montreal.

I am very good with computers but not so much with hardware (especially not on a new car )

Thank you