AVIC411.com

My back up cam and headrest monitors are not clear

I have the Boyo License plate cam and 2 headrest monitors hooked up to my Z1. The screen in the front is perfectly clear, but in camera mode it looks like engine interferance as well as the rear screens in dvd mode. There is no whining or whistling in the speakers. If I have the Navigator key turned in accessory mode (no engine running) the rear screens are clear. I have 2 more headrests with screens built in for the 3rd row, and a 17" dropdown screen ready to install after I fix this issue. Does anyone have a good solution?

I have the Boyo License plate cam and 2 headrest monitors hooked up to my Z1. The screen in the front is perfectly clear, but in camera mode it looks like engine interferance as well as the rear screens in dvd mode. There is no whining or whistling in the speakers. If I have the Navigator key turned in accessory mode (no engine running) the rear screens are clear. I have 2 more headrests with screens built in for the 3rd row, and a 17" dropdown screen ready to install after I fix this issue. Does anyone have a good solution?

I've got the same issue with my D3 and my BU camera from Boyo. Mine is perfectly clear with the engine off but there is some slight ghosting when my truck is running. I put a noise filter on the power wire for the camera but it didn't help. I tried a different ground for the camera but that didn't help. I think it has something to do with the Boyo. I had a Sanyo BU camera that I returned but it didn't have the interference the Boyo has and the Boyo is hooked up exactly the same way the Sanyo BU camera was. I returned the Sanyo due to poor quality for the price. I've heard I may have to run a power and ground for the camera to the battery and put in a relay of some type. I have not tried a noise filter on the ground...

try putting a wire around the ground of the rca and ground it, also run the wires outside of the carand see if it still happens. if you have a small tv hook up the backup cam directly to the tv. try wrapping the signal wires in foil and split loom it.

Can you explain in greater detail. What do you mean by putting the wires outside the car? Signal wires in foil and split loom it? Grounding the RCA?

I know the outside of the RCA is the ground but how do you get a wire to attach to it securely?

I have powered the cam and rear headrests seperatly to the battery with a switch and grounded them directly to the battery. It has helped a very little bit. I will try some of the advise tommorrow with the noise filters. I will also do upgraded Kicker RCA cables with the ground wire attached to them. I will aslo use a signal booster. I already have a Alpine video splitter going one vid rca out of the HU to the splitter to the t.v's. If anyone has any luck let me know. I have done alot of installs and with t.v's i have had signal problems in mostly Ford trucks. Mine being a Navigator. What vehicles are you guys having problems in?

I have seen some units in the past where a video signal was too high in the voltage signal from the dvd player for the inputs of monitors from a different supplier. with this problem it was needed to open up the signal rca to get to the center lead and then inserted a 1 k ohm resistor to drop the signal voltage. this could be your issue. also the signal could be incompatible with your other manu' products. have you tried a video amp to see if this would help, you would most likely need the amp when you add the extra monitors that you plan on adding. you need to try other options ( possibilities) before saying that "pioneer sucks". now the dvd player you hooked up, was it a portable unit or was it a 12v unit made for automotive use and hardwired into the electrical. if it was a portable unit was it running on a battert pack or plugged into a powerpoint?

if you have 4 headrest monitors hooked up the the d3, there is only one obvious solution, you need a signal amplifier for the video signal, you cant just keep splitting the video signal with y adapters, there is you quality loss right there.

sorry xsdbs, i see we came to the same conclusion, i posted before i read your post.

When i say pioneer sux (my opinion) its because this unit has so many issues from overheating, which i fixed by running a 16mm rubber hose tapped into my ac system into the rear compartment area of the Z1. Map issues and now the video output. I have put headrest tv's in alot of vehicles on my lot split off of a cheap HU like Monkey video and Valor with great pictures on rear screens. Luckily I did not buy this Z1. It came in a Mercedes I got from the auction. I have had many Alpines with no problems. When Alpine does make a unit similiar to the Z1 with Library and the other treats, best believe this unit will be put into another car on my lot or on Ebay.

not all components are compatible to each other. there are resolution, signal voltages, power supplies and ground specs. you could also have interference that is a radiated signal. some here may remember back in the late 80's and early 90's in ford trucks they had and ign harness that came accross the back side of the radio cavity that created a hell of a whine when the engine was running, when you pulled the radio out about 4-6 inches the noise went away and no type of power filter or ground loop isolator would remove the noise. the factory radio would not give off the noise at the same level because its freq response was narrow in the high end. the cure for this was to remove the radio losen the dash structure and relocate the dash harness lower and away from the radio cavity. anyway, well there are some problems with the z1 but maybe your diag of the problem could go a little deeper by as mentioned by jl12each. take your video rca from the radio to the headrest and grab a pair of extra cables that you probably have laying around, plug a cable into the radio and temp plug it into your headrest monitors, test the video signal. is it any better, sometimes you have to try a couple different routes thats why you don't want to install the test cable untill you either find a better location or fully prove out that the signal just sucks. radiated signals really suck and take a little patience. good luck

ps , you still didn't say what the dvd player was that you used to test the system and didn't get the interference. see you may have proved that there my be a different source of interference instead of the radio.