AVIC411.com

Kenwood DNX7100 questions

Hi all, new here. I want to upgrade to an in dash nav in my M3, I have a garmin portable but I am tired of it getting stolen / having to remove it so it doesn't. I prefer Garmin nav because that is what they 'do', so you know it's going to be good. Pioneer switches map providers and who knows how long they will keep updating.

So this Kenwood has my full attention! I do have some questions before I drop the cash though:

1) How do you update the maps? Does it use the Garmin map update discs / MapPoint which you can upload to the unit or do you have to get your updates from Kenwood?

2) Does it work with Garmin's MapPoint software? Can I put my waypoints / routes on a USB drive or flash drive or something then upload them to the DNX?

I love the price and the look, as well as the features of the 'wood and I will definitely get the Bluetooth. I want a full navigation and communication system in my car, I use it every day for work which requires a lot of travel so something that will last a long time is important to me. Not something that can only be updated one year then if I want another update I have to buy a whole new unit.

Thanks!

-J

• 3 weeks later...

I had one for about a week, so I can't answer much. You do all updates via the SD slot behind the screen. You get the updates from garmin.com/kenwood. I think they are basically the same as other map upgrades. Stick them on the SD card and load the maps to the unit. From what I was told and understand, you can only update POI's on the unit.

My wife has a nuvi 660 and compared to the Kenwood hers is far better. You are very limited in what you can add or change and Garmin told me that is just because the specifications from kenwood which makes those limitations. So while yes, the nav is by garmin and works great, it doesn't compare to their standalone units.

The UI of the kenwood really is horrible like so many say. If you mainly want it for nav though, that part is full garmin