AVIC411.com

Avic D3 and -30C temperatures. Kills backlight?

Hey.

I was thinking about buying an Avic (maybe the D3), but I am worried about the cold weather. It gets down to -30C (-40C last winter) here. In the instruction manual of these units, it mentions that operating it in the cold may shorten backlight lifetime. I was wondering if someone could tell me approximately how much the backlight life is shortened and how valid of a concern is this issue? I know that ccfl tubes will appear dim in the cold, but is the screen still readable? Does anyone have any experience with their Avic units in the extreme cold and if you had any problems? My main concern is the backlight prematurely dying from the cold and then I will have to take it apart myself to replace it (if warranty is over).

Thanks.

I don't know about cold killing the backlight, but they have been reported to have screen problems in cold weather, mainly intermittantly blank screens.

But I would say that if it says in the manual that temperatures that cold are bad for the unit, I'd be weary about going in that direction. But honestly, pretty much any LCD is gonna have problems in weather that cold.

Well of course the car has a heater. But in -30C, its going to take maybe 10-15 mins for the head unit to actually warm up. Does that mean the unit will be pretty much useless? I would have thought that a headunit designed for the car should be able to withstand the conditions of incar use. I know I'm not the only one who lives in the cold, so maybe others can share what exactly happens to the Avic in these extreme conditions?

I have the same concern because I live in Toronto Canada where the temp at times reaches -30. I bought the unit in the summer so have not yet had it in the winter. But when I had it installed I asked my installer about weather conditions and he told me that he has not heard any complaints about any of the Nav systems that he installs due to weather. I guess you have to also consider a few things, although it may be -30 outside, chances are that it will not be that cold inside your car unless it is parked for weeks outside with-out be started. Also, to be on the safe side, when your car is really cold when you first get in, let the heater warm up the car well before starting the unit.

Hey.

I was thinking about buying an Avic (maybe the D3), but I am worried about the cold weather. It gets down to -30C (-40C last winter) here. In the instruction manual of these units, it mentions that operating it in the cold may shorten backlight lifetime. I was wondering if someone could tell me approximately how much the backlight life is shortened and how valid of a concern is this issue? I know that ccfl tubes will appear dim in the cold, but is the screen still readable? Does anyone have any experience with their Avic units in the extreme cold and if you had any problems? My main concern is the backlight prematurely dying from the cold and then I will have to take it apart myself to replace it (if warranty is over).

Thanks.

I think you will have other problems then the backlight. Practically no LCD displays work at those temparatures, bar some military ones and only then with heaters behind them....

See f.i. displays

Plus the unit will self heat quickly when turned on.

I've noticed this aswell already, I'm in the same boat as the O.P. It can get VERY cold here (Fort McMurray AB). The only thing I notice is the screen is somewhat sluggish to change thats all. Just go easy on it and you should be fine, I worry more about my ipod being in my car 24/7.

• 3 months later...