AVIC411.com

Changing storage compression

[quote name="George01v6"]Now with you guys hacking the HDD, is there any way to up the kbps of the MP3s it saves to the hard drive? I hear when you rip songs the compression makes the sound quality kind of suck. Any luck with that?

George[/quote]

Once we get the unit to play MP3's we should be able to do whatever we want quality wise.
[quote name="Hyperite"]Yeah, currently it doesn't rip in MP3, and there's no way to change the quality in which it DOES rip.[/quote]

althought I'm not 100% sure if this is the case or not, my suspicion would be that pioneer didnt want to license an MP3 encoder, thats probably the only reason it is the way it is.

that being said, if somebody is workin on getting it to play something else, they should be trying to get it to enc/dec AAC rather then MP3. Thats what itunes uses and the quality is much better then MP3.
[quote name="berniec"] [quote name="Hyperite"]Yeah, currently it doesn't rip in MP3, and there's no way to change the quality in which it DOES rip.[/quote]

althought I'm not 100% sure if this is the case or not, my suspicion would be that pioneer didnt want to license an MP3 encoder, thats probably the only reason it is the way it is.

that being said, if somebody is workin on getting it to play something else, they should be trying to get it to enc/dec AAC rather then MP3. Thats what itunes uses and the quality is much better then MP3.[/quote]

The first goal is to get it to play mp3's. The default windows media player would play them and it is included as part of the windows CE distribution package (I can play mp3's on my pocket PC out of the box).

The problem right now is accessing the Windows installation. It is on flash memory inside the unit. Not on the HDD.