AVIC411.com

Screen Blank and buttons not working

Sent in my unit 7 months ago, now Pioneer is wanting me to spend another 200 bucks.

Buttons were intermittent, then finally stopped working on the face (eq / mute / etc) Except the volume and eject button, those work.

Then yesterday the screen goes blank, the unit is still working, I can press on screen buttons, I just can't see them.

I think this is a common problem, but I can't find any information. Why would the buttons just stop working?
You're right.

AVIC-N1.
The Brain was sent during the winter. Connection problem. Now the issue is the unit itself.

For full disclosure:
One day the EQ button didn't work. Didn't think much of it. Next day, mute didn't work. But the EQ button did. Next time, both didnt work. Then mute worked. Now nothing except volume and eject work.

Then today the screen didn't come on. Not sure if the ENT button needs pushing - that's fixed this in the past. But the button doesnt work so I can't try.

I've heard of other button problems, what causes this issue?

-AL
I have exactly the same problem. Unit worked fine for like 2 years. Then the LCD didn't come up once, closed opened again, then worked for a few days.

Now I get just a blank LCD and the buttons on the front only work 75% of the time.

There is a guy on ebay that describes this exact problem and will fix for $119. So it sounds like a common problem.

I got a copy of the service manual and took mine apart and checked the obvious ribbon connections but no luck so far. Going to take a closer look tonight.

Anyone have some insight on what the problem might be?

Thanks!
  • 3 months later...
I also had the exact same problem a couple weeks ago. I found "the guy on ebay" made reference to earlier and contacted him. His name is Rich and his company is Same Day Auto Audio Repair Service.

He explained that this problem was due to a couple bad components in the N1 which had to be replaced (only takes a day depending on their workload). It worked out great for me because by screen/buttons went dead a couple days before I went on vacation. I FedEx'd the head unit out before I left and it was back to me by the time I got back.

On top of that, Rich called me to offer a couple upgrades (for a fee, of course). Although I didn't take him up on some of them, I did agree to pay $16 for him to replace that noisy %^&$#@ fan ...... WELL worth it!!!

So anyone else having this issue .... do a search under "AVIC-N1 blank screen" in ebay or just email him at rch72@aol.com. OR give them a call at 757-420-5206 (Virginia). I know it may seem like I'm associated with them in some way; I assure you I'm not. I just appreciate good service, especially when it's so hard to find nowadays.