AVIC411.com

Navigation Quality

I'm on the verge of buying a pioneer unit, but have a question about the navigation that might make a difference in my decision. I currently use a Garmin c340 and for the most part, am happy with it. The maps are sometimes not up-to-date and it's not uncommon for establishments that exist to not show up on a search. However, that is a problem that I would think most gps systems share.

The question I have, for those of you that have used a garmin device, is whether the Z2 is fairly comprable to it (or better - hopefully). Originally I was thinking that by going the Z2 route, I would end up with a much better navigation unit. However, after reading many complaints on this board, I'm not so sure that is the case (particularly in the D3 subforum). While I would really like to get rid of my garmin and have an all-in-one deck (like the Z2), I don't want to do it if I'm going to encounter navigation that is inferior.

I have the Z1 recently updated to Z2 maps. etc. I was really hoping the update would improve the nav functions to at least match my two year old NUVI 350. I have to say though that the user interface to the 350 is way more intuitive and the mapping and guidance are far superior on the Garmin. The street to my house that is on the two year old Garmin is still not included on the AVIC. And.....I don't know what the AVIC is thinking in terms of most practical route most of the time (it'll get you there but you might end up driving twice as far as you really need to). The Garmin has nearly always taken the most direct route. The AVIC, going to the same location, takes an absolutley ridiculous routing. If you miss a turn the Gramin will quickly recalculate a route. The AVIC insists on you making U-turns over and over, before it will finally offer up a new route. So, the cool factor of the in-dash the Pioneer is nice, and it offers a backup camera capability that I really use. But if you just want a very intuitive navigation system; get the Gramin.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought one of the early AVIC-Z1 systems and have been totally disappointed with the quality of the NAV system. There seems to be no logic to its routing, if you make a wrong turn, it doesn't want to recalculate but rather continues barking at you to make a U turn. I have a portable Garmin I use when traveling in a rental auto and find it much simpler to operate and more logical in routing directions. I keep hoping for a NAV update worthy of purchasing. Is there anything out there or planned?

Huh? The few times I've used the navigation feature on my new Z2 over the past few weeks, it has never told me to do a U-Turn and automatically recalculates the route based on which direction I'm going. It does seem to calculate some rather funky routes, but as soon as I start driving the way I know, it quickly (and silently) recalcs the route without bugging me.

Granted, this my first Nav unit so I don't have anything to compare it to, but I'm pretty pleased with it so far.

I have tested/owned almost every GPS/NAV unit ever made at one time or another & the Pioneer has the absolute worst routing engine I have ever used period (Garmin is the best hands down).

The last Pioneer I owned was a Z1 (sold it on ebay). It was an awesome entertainment system but a simply terrible NAV unit.

~John

I'm on the verge of buying a pioneer unit, but have a question about the navigation that might make a difference in my decision. I currently use a Garmin c340 and for the most part, am happy with it. The maps are sometimes not up-to-date and it's not uncommon for establishments that exist to not show up on a search. However, that is a problem that I would think most gps systems share.

The question I have, for those of you that have used a garmin device, is whether the Z2 is fairly comprable to it (or better - hopefully). Originally I was thinking that by going the Z2 route, I would end up with a much better navigation unit. However, after reading many complaints on this board, I'm not so sure that is the case (particularly in the D3 subforum). While I would really like to get rid of my garmin and have an all-in-one deck (like the Z2), I don't want to do it if I'm going to encounter navigation that is inferior.

Funny you should ask.

I have a Z1 (now upgraded to Z2) in my car at home. Currently I'm spending 3 weeks in rental cars and had gotten myself a Garmin for that purpose. That little $250 Garmin is 10 times better when it comes to routing than is the Z2. I have never trusted the Z2 and have always checked and printed routing from maps.live or maps.google before going on my regular trips. With the Garmin I've stopped doing that.

Pioneer has a loooong way to go before they catch up. The maps are mostly good, but in Canada when I get away from the bigger cities, detail falls off greatly. Lakes are no longer displayed and neither are rail lines, streams or small towns. Haven't tried the Garmin in those areas but heard from friends that they're very happy with Garmin even in the bush when hunting in far more remote areas.

I'd say: Keep your Garmin ... at least for the routing. :wink:

• 1 month later...

Well, I have to agree with most of the comments on here. I really wanted to like my Z2, since I paid so much for it, but it's really starting to be a pain in the butt. My nav system is really acting up. It might tell me to take a turn off going down the freeway with 100 miles to go, for absolutely no reason. And then it gives me turn directions that are no where close to the route. It does recalculate, but that's because it has to because it told me to take the wrong turn in the first place. Then it just goes bananas and all of the sudden your car is off the highway miles from where you really are. I've tried doing the reset, the 3D calibration, canceling the route, just about everything I know. Thank goodness the map and destination stays set, even though the route is all screwed up. I do have the latest updates, the bypass installed. It never was a great navigation system, but it's pretty much worthless now. Open to ideas....

I'm honestly shocked at what I'm hearing. I got my Z1 the month it came out and recently upgraded it to a Z2. After two years of driving around, spanning most of California, I haven't had ANY problems with routing. If I miss a turn, it re-routes me immediately, depending on the routing options I have selected. It's never taken me to the wrong address (with the exception of a POI being out of date) and the ETA has always been spot on (since I changed it to "80" for free way speed, since that' what I actually drive, lol )

That's the key I think, knowing ow to use the setting in the Z2. Tell it your average speeds. Tell it how you would like it to route you. If you would rather have the shortest distance routed, choose that in your settings. Or, choose multiple routes while routing. Sometimes it tells me to turn around, other times it takes me on a different route. Why? Because it's doing exactly what it's supposed to -- choose the fastest route. If a u turn is faster than taking side streets to the next freeway entrance, it says turn around. If you continue on anyway, and it becomes faster to continue on, it reroutes you yet again, this time to go to the next entrance. Etc.

The only mistake it's made has been since I upgraded it to a Z2. At one specific intersection it tells me to stay left, when in fact I have to stay right. Clearly this is a map error introduced in the Z2 update. For the record, many other areas have been fixed. Especially POI's!

So tell me, what EXACTLY makes the garmin routing better? Give me a route to compare. I honestly would like to see it. Maybe I'll join the bandwagon!

So tell me, what EXACTLY makes the garmin routing better? Give me a route to compare. I honestly would like to see it. Maybe I'll join the bandwagon!

No need to get on the bandwagon. If you're happy with the directions you're getting, -enjoy!!

But if you want to do a little testing, then go to Google Maps and compare the routing there with the routing that Avic gives you. Google routes identical to Garmin and Magellan on all the routes that I compared. The routes are almost always optimal.

Below is a drive I do regularly and just for the hell of it I recently went the way Avic told me to go. It took me through a slow residential area of Peterborogh and over rough country roads even though I had set up for the fastest route. Going the Avic way took more than 20 minutes longer on the weekend and would take even longer during rush hour.

Google, Garmin and Magellan all route around Peterborough and up on Hwy 28 which doesn't go through any towns and is the main artery going north.

This is by far not the worst example I've come across but it's the latest one were I've tried the routing.

Just to complete my testing I then got a Tom Tom 920 and discovered that it routes exactly the way Avic does.

Both Avic and Tom Tom are TELE ATLAS.

post-1036-12872753718452_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

I just installed a Z2 in my Excursion mostly for my girlfiend to use. The nav unit was the main reason for getting the Z2. She currently has a portable Garmin Nuvi 200 that is hands down more accurate. I was on my way to work this morning and used the Z2 just to see how it routed me. It actually wanted me to get off of the highway and onto the side roads at one point. Then I was looking at the way it wanted me to go home and it wants me to go about 15 miles out of the way.

This is a total disapointment and I wish I would have gotten something different. I would hope sinse I just bought this unit, that it would have the most up to date software and it sucks.

I just installed a Z2 in my Excursion mostly for my girlfiend to use. The nav unit was the main reason for getting the Z2. She currently has a portable Garmin Nuvi 200 that is hands down more accurate. ......

This is a total disapointment and I wish I would have gotten something different. I would hope sinse I just bought this unit, that it would have the most up to date software and it sucks.

The new Z3 is just hitting the stores and will probably again have SLIGHT improvements. It's my understanding that TELEATLAS is still the supplier of the mapping software and I therefore don't have high expectations.

I have a Garmin C550 and recently installed Z2. Garmin is better for all reasons listed above except the u-turn thing, I haven't been asked to make a U-turn yet.

I have found that I can fool the Z2 to route me the same way the Garmin does by adding waypoints. Although usually longer, it will still get you there.

I have had some addresses that were off by a few miles, but for the most part its bareable. And yes I've tried fastest time, shortest distance routing and its still about the same. Multiple routes works sometimes, as there is a choice if multiple routes to the destination if they exist.

Pluses are great multi media and I love the XM interface on the display.

I almost did not buy my Z2 because of threads like this on this message board.

I have had my unit for 2 months in the CA bay area. I've used it to take trips to Tahoe and Oregon. I have not experienced any problems with routing. I have seen it take routes that I would not prefer, but never anything that would have been more than 1-2 minutes different in travel time.

I have noticed it take some strange turns when rerouting very near a destination. But, in these cases, it's a difference of blocks, not miles.

I wonder if part of this is a change in expectations with price. If I buy a handheld unit for $400 and it works OK, I'm happy. If I buy an in dash unit for $2000 and it works OK, I'm pissed. Dunno.

I'm very glad that I did not let these discussions turn me away from buying the Z2.

I almost did not buy my Z2 because of threads like this on this message board.

I have had my unit for 2 months in the CA bay area. I've used it to take trips to Tahoe and Oregon. I have not experienced any problems with routing. I have seen it take routes that I would not prefer, but never anything that would have been more than 1-2 minutes different in travel time.

I have noticed it take some strange turns when rerouting very near a destination. But, in these cases, it's a difference of blocks, not miles.

I wonder if part of this is a change in expectations with price. If I buy a handheld unit for $400 and it works OK, I'm happy. If I buy an in dash unit for $2000 and it works OK, I'm pissed. Dunno.

I'm very glad that I did not let these discussions turn me away from buying the Z2.

Nothing to do with price except that I would expect this $2000 high-end-navigation-system to route and map AS GOOD AS a $200 Magellan. --Not even close. :cry:

I now have that Magellan in addition to the Z2 solely for the purpose of providing me with routing. Maybe the bay area is OK and in any case it's never a problem when you know the area that you're driving in so that you know not to make the silly extra turns. I don't need Navigation in my home town but during my weekly travels into areas were with the Magellan I can now go without first verifying the routing on a paper map or on Google maps.

I've had the Avic D2, Z1 and now Z2 and the one thing I've learned is not to trust their routing.

Unfortunately I didn't know before that the Magellan and Garmins are so much better when it comes to routing.

• 1 year later...

I'm having similar issues with AVIC 900bt. While the map shows my car exactly where I am, the routing is just weird. It takes me off of main streets onto little side streets. I checked the settings and it's supposed to choose the fastest routes. But the really weird thing is that it can't find my house. It tells me the address doesn't exist (my mortgage company begs to differ). I put a pin on the location and it reads as an address several blocks away. It took me four blocks away from one destination and generally marks destinations at least two blocks away from where they really are. I can't find any way to calibrate the map, just the screen taps. So frustrating !!!!! Any help would be greatly appreciated as Pioneer hasn't responded to several emails. Given what I read on this forum, they probably don't have time!