AVIC411.com

D3 illumination question

I had a similar issue that turned out to be an easy fix. In my car (Mercedes ML), the daytime running light (DRL) system ran off two relays. One operated the headlights and the other ran the dash lighting and licence plate light. The relays work in parallel with the normal headlight switch. I found that if I just removed that second relay, the headlights were still on all the time but the dash lighting worked only with the switch (like the old days).

If that doesn't work for you, you could always put a switch in-line with the dimmer feed from the car. That way, the variable dimming would still work (I assume) but you could easily go to full brightness as well. I can't recall if the dim feed is 12 volts for full brightness or 0 volts.

i'm with Jleach.

the DRL is for headlights, the illumination is the dash lights.

there should be a wire on the harness that tells the stock radio lights when to light up.

GOOGLE, or buy a Haynes/Chilton manual for your car,

pay for itself doing maintenance & stuff.

I don't know how different they are, but I had no issues with my 05 Monte. Of course, I disabled my DRL's, but there should still be an illumination lead going to the factory head unit. Did he say why it can't be hooked up?

yah he just said that because of the DRL's that the D3 would always be on the dim setting. I am going to ask one of the other installers. But u guys think it should be possible? I might have to do it myself...

There may not be an illumination wire at the radio harness. That would be part of the reason you were given that excuse. Also since the vehicle has auto headlights, you may notice the screen switch into nightmode whenever the vehicle turns on the headlights. You can tap into the illumination for the ac controls or to the parking light circuit. JLeach already mentions what the wire would be at the ac controls. The other option would be in the passenger side harness that runs to the rear of the car under the carpet. Either a purple or brown/white wire. Now if it's an 06 with the older body style then that's a different can of worms. I don't know if the colors at the ac controls would be the same, but the parking light circuit wires are at the passenger side of the dash and theyll be either yellow or brown/white.