AVIC411.com

custom startup image being made on a mac

ok, ive been ready forum's for a week.. im gonna be starting my install on my 350Z putting in the avic-d2. i am having trouble figuring out how to make a custom startup image on my mac? i know macs are different then PC's. so if anyone can help me figure it out or send me links for what i need to download to do it it would be very helpful. thank you..

I have both a mac and a PC and I hate to say it but there is nothing that I know of on the Mac that is included with the OS that will do what you want it to do, I still have Tiger 10.4 BTW. Same with the PC, although I read somebody used Paint for a background.

Optimally you would want Adobe Photoshop or something similar but those programs are complicated and expensive. I have Photoshop 7.0 on my PC and that is how I go about my backgrounds.

I have seen alot of 350Z backgrounds already made. Look around and see if you like any of them. If not ask for one to be made.

But if you still have that creative bug biting you you could download a free trial of Adobe Photoshop CS3, read the tutorials within this forum (pretty easy to do) and start creating backgrounds like a madman before the trial runs out.

ok, making an image is the easy part.... im with this guy...how the hell do i put it on the dvd? As far as i am aware, you do need to copy the navi dvd and replace some of the files in order to get the backgrounds onto your avic. I have also read the post about how to do this on a PC, but how do i do it on my mac? Usually things are pretty straightforward on macs (drag and drop) but with this i get an error message "The finder could not complete the operation because some data in ALLDATA.KWI could not be read or written", so im thinking I need a third party application in order to make this happen. Anybody have a link or any info on how to do this?

• 3 months later...

You DO NOT need to stick your NAV DVD in to your Mac. Make the pictures and have them set to 500 x 240 pixels. Save them as JPG files. Create a folder called PICTURES on your Desktop (Apple + Shift + N) then save the flattened JPG images into the folder PICTURES on your desktop. If you have Toast open it and stick in a blank cd. With Toast click DATA CD then make sure that you have the MAC/PC compatiability boxed checked. Drag the Pictures Folder from your desktop into Toast. Click BURN (Red button in Lower Right Corner) wait until it is done. Eject disc, take it to your car and insert into the unit. Navigate to the Custom Background Menu and upload the images you created.