AVIC411.com

New angle on why my Z1 will run different HDD's

Perhaps its as simple as the add on's connected to the unit.

Of those that have tried a larger HDD and experienced a crash do any of you have the same setup I do.

My config is very bare:
Z1
XM with nav traffic - both activated.
no bluetooth
no Ipod
nothing else at this time.
no external amps, nada.

Survey says?

Post what you do have installed. If anybody with only a Z1 and nothing else has had a drive failure I will try unhooking my nav traffic to see what happens.

Perhaps the unique data transfer type of the nav traffic is forcing the unit to be more agreeable....
Well both big floppy and I have problems and we both have bluetooth and ipod and sat radio adapters.

Pulp has XM sat.

So if it has anything to do with these things, it's either Sirius Sat or ipod (although big floppy has ipod2 and I have ipod1). But we both have bluetooth.
Ok, you can now welcome me to the crashing Z1 club.

NO, not the drives I have made but the one Ducati sent back to me with his stuff on it.

Here is what it does/did:
5 min trip to store no problems
10-15 min drive to work and it thumped my speakers, the screen went black then the unit restarted. I was on FM radio at the time and it didn't miss a beat confirming the radio tuner is a seperate system.
Next 10-15 min trip for lunch and the NAV display locked up. Radio was still playing and I could adjust volume but do nothing else.
I pulled out the "Ducati" and inserted the "Pulp" and it worked fine all the way back to work. (The Pulp is my backup - my original still has not been in the unit for weeks)

This is very interesting since my drives work in my unit but don't in Ducati's. Ducati's drives do not work in his or mine?

Who wants to speculate what this means???
Did Ducati send you his own drive with his image, or did he send back your known-working drive with his image installed on it?

'Could still be an image or signature-file type issue. If possible, maybe you could install both drives on a spare machine and run [url=http://www.componentsoftware.com/Products/CSDiff/index.htm]CSDiff[/url] in folder mode (be sure to click on the "analyze sub folders" checkbox) to determine the differences? (They're still FAT32 partitions and not TFAT, I hope...)

That's pretty much the approach I intend to take, once I've got my hot-swapping rig set up..

It'll take a while to run across an entire partition/directory, but I'll bet it'll zero in on the suspect files quickly. It'll also identify the internals of catalog-file changes if either drive image has added "ripped" cd music images.
[quote name="Pulp_Fiction"]This is very interesting since my drives work in my unit but don't in Ducati's. Ducati's drives do not work in his or mine?

Who wants to speculate what this means???[/quote]

Is Steve's drive a copy of HIS system, or your ripped originals?
I would feel better of you're image had worked on Ducatiboys. But it didn't. I have a sneaking suspicion Pioneer has made some sort of running change here we can't identify...or there indeed is a signature issue. But why can't Steve make one work with his own image if that were the case?
[quote name="03Aviator"]But why can't Steve make one work with his own image if that were the case?[/quote]

Well right now I'm trying to re-image my thinkpad to put a new drive in it and I'm not having much luck either... so don't necessarily hold too much stock in my image copying abilities :)