AVIC411.com

HD Radio

But the HD radio will automatically switch to the analog signal (not the head unit's analog radio) if the HD signal get's weak enough to cause a drop out (provided you are listening to the main channel. If you are listening to an HD only sub-channel then there is no analog signal to revert to so it will drop out in that case.

So, I really see no reason to maintain the antenna connection to the standard radio unless you really like the Detail screen, but since it doesn't have RDS/RBDS in the US I see no value. The HD radio will display the text values if the station provides them even for the analog channels.

I'm not sure about that. He makes it seam like the HD module via the EXT interface will auto switch to Analog (where available) and show RDS if the stations HD signal is weak enough to lose signal.

Yeah it sounds promising. I want RDS for Analog and HD radio with a real interface. So here is to wishful thinking that Pioneer steps up and actually decides to update the D3 to handle the HD module in the near future.

If not, I'll be buying the mythical D4 which hopefully will have HD Radio support whenever it is announced.