AVIC411.com

Navigation is 90 degrees off

Finally after I don't know how long I got my Avic-Z1 installed. Everything seems great except for the navigation. The navigation is off by 90 degrees. For example, if I'm facing east, the navigation shows the car moving north. Also, when going to the screen that shows the time, MPH and the compass, the compass shows the car again facing north when in fact I'm facing east. Any suggestions on how to correct this?

Chris

My only suggestions to check the installation in the service menu...I can't think of it off hand...but it's something like settings>hardware info....it's the same place that you'll find the GPS antenna strength...

Make sure that the installation says it's OK...to clear that up, there is an installment adjustment for those with dashboards that are angled towards(or away) from the driver...

if that's OK...then try a reset....if that doesn't work..then check your antenna connections/install

Did what you suggested and it's still 90 degress of. I haven't checked the antenna or install connections yet. Just to make sure I'm reading the compass correctly. It shows my car pointing east when in fact the car is pointing north. So east is on top and north is to the left with the picture of the car pointing up or east. Then there is a red line going from the side of my car to the left connecting to the N for north. What is that red line? And from what I just described, am I correct in saying it's off 90 degrees?

Touch the little compass logo on the screen and see if it reorients itself.

The red line is a straight line from where you are, to where you are going, without roads

If you're talking about the compass on the screen that shows the time, MPH and Compass, when I press that I get a menu allowing me to change the compass icon to something else. If you're talking about a different compass please elaborate.

Touch the little compass logo on the screen and see if it reorients itself.

The red line is a straight line from where you are, to where you are going, without roads

If you're talking about the compass on the screen that shows the time, MPH and Compass, when I press that I get a menu allowing me to change the compass icon to something else. If you're talking about a different compass please elaborate.

He's talking about the half-red half-white, Rhombus-shaped compass icon on the map screen. Pressing it toggles between orienting North as up on the map (what it sounds like you want), and orienting the direction you're facing as up on the map (what it sounds like it's currently in).

Another suggestion might be resetting the learning status. If it started learning incorrectly from the get go, it could think this faulty orientation is correct. To reset it, go to Menu -> Settings -> Hardware -> 3D Calibration Status -> reset all.

Also, check your installation angle. Settings -> Hardware -> Installation angle.

I tried toggling the compass back and forth to see which was better. When I press it once the triangle that is supposed to be my car stays pointed up, but moves along correctly on the roads as I drive. This mode seems to work best for me. However, if I switch to drivers view, I do not see roads, all I see is grass or concrete. I guess this is because the arrow is pointing off the road and not actually onto it. If you can't follow me basically the arrow always stays pointed up but moves to the right as I drive (or should I say the map moves to the left as the arrow stays fixed) and the GPS is correct. If I switch to driver's mode like I said I don't see roads since the arrow is always pointing up, and not toward the road I'm on. Would toggling the compass cause it to point to the raod? I haven't tried to do the 3D reset yet. I will in a few minutes. Also, when driving, although the GPS is mostly accurate I notice the street name in the bottom left of the screen stays the same for while as a drive. I could have past that street a while back and it still says the same name. Then all of a sudden it switches to a street that I'm actually closer to. Is it supposed to be instantaneous or lag like this? Does this sound like a VSS not connected problem? I did not do the install personaly and I did tell my installer to do it, but who knows?

Thanks for all the help you guys have given me so far

I haven't tried to do the 3D reset yet. I will in a few minutes.

Well, first try the reset. It seems that orientation problems are somewhat common on new installations and simply reseting the learning status takes care of it.

Does this sound like a VSS not connected problem?

The VSS is not necessary; it helps with accuracy when signal is lost, but in my experience it has made no difference. I've had My Z2 hooked up WITHOUT the VSS for a couple months (cause I'm lazy) and it's been working flawlessly. Obviously it can't sense slope without it, but besides novelty / 3D hybrid, it's unnecessary. So, no. I doubt it's because of VSS.

Oh yeah - one more thing. Where's your antenna? If it's not on a metal surface, you WILL have accuracy issues. Either put it on the car's exterior or use the metal plate that came with it.

I haven't tried to do the 3D reset yet. I will in a few minutes.

Well, first try the reset. It seems that orientation problems are somewhat common on new installations and simply reseting the learning status takes care of it.

Does this sound like a VSS not connected problem?

The VSS is not necessary; it helps with accuracy when signal is lost, but in my experience it has made no difference. I've had My Z2 hooked up WITHOUT the VSS for a couple months (cause I'm lazy) and it's been working flawlessly. Obviously it can't sense slope without it, but besides novelty / 3D hybrid, it's unnecessary. So, no. I doubt it's because of VSS.

I did the 3D Reset and it worked. Everything is working fine now. Arrow is on the road in the correct direction and the driver;s view show me on the road. Also, there is no lag

Thanks for all your help!

Oh yeah - one more thing. Where's your antenna? If it's not on a metal surface, you WILL have accuracy issues. Either put it on the car's exterior or use the metal plate that came with it.

To put a little closure to this post.

It is posible to adjust the direction of the Red arrow (which represents your vehicle) by simply going to the "Modify Locatioin" button and if the arrow is geographocly in the ight spot just tap on top of the arrow and press "Ok". This will take you to the next step which is two rotational arrows haloing aroung your vehicle (red arrow), press one of them to rotate the red arrow in the correct directioin and press back to get out of it.

Hope this helps.

To put a little closure to this post.

It is posible to adjust the direction of the Red arrow (which represents your vehicle) by simply going to the "Modify Locatioin" button and if the arrow is geographocly in the ight spot just tap on top of the arrow and press "Ok". This will take you to the next step which is two rotational arrows haloing aroung your vehicle (red arrow), press one of them to rotate the red arrow in the correct directioin and press back to get out of it.

Hope this helps.

This will take you to the next step which is two rotational arrows haloing aroung your vehicle (red arrow), press one of them to rotate the red arrow in the correct directioin and press back to get out of it.

Ya know, I tried that when I was having the problem. While it worked for that session, the next day, it would go right back to being confused. ... which would make sense if Dead Reckoning learned incorrectly.

Anyway, good tip!

Oh, and cgcmgr,

Glad to hear you're up and running!