AVIC411.com

Can the D3 do RDS?

I've seen web pages indicating both yes and no. I suspect maybe just the European versions do RDS. If that's the case, any hacks to the US version to make it work? I can't believe the US and Euro versions are that different - probably just bits turned on or off.

My current radio has RDS as do a lot of the new radios. If the D3 will not do it, doen anyone have any suggestions of a similar radio/nav that does?

Because Pioneer did have it for years and years but none of the radio stations supported it. Nobody said a word for like a decade so they took it out to save costs

Well, most of the stations around here support RDS now. A lot of factory radios support RDS. I can't believe it really adds any cost. The Euro version of the D3 supports it, so I'm guessing it's in the D3 and just disabled on the US radios. There must be some hackers here that can figure out how to turn it back on. If I could figure it out, I'd buy a D3 today! Otherwise I'm looking at the Kenwood.

• 2 weeks later...

I like this feature too. The radio looks bare with the blank spot without it.

RDS isn't expensive at all. It's part of the subcarrier information and very easy to decode. It's found at 57kHz, which is the third harmonic of the 19kHz FM pilot tone. The throughput is roughly 1kbps of data.

The HD Radio tuner, to my knowledge, should have full support for RDS since HD Radio chipsets (which are proprietary and all-in-one) have it built into the analog section. The HD addon tuner is the Pioneer GEX-P10HD. Unfortunately, as it stands, the D-series and N-series units will see that as an external device. What does that mean? Think "eight-character iPod interface for the D1/D2".

Aside from me being upset about not having RDS as well, I have XM/Sirius/iPod interfaces which all show me information equivalent to what RDS would do. So, I use them. ;)