AVIC411.com

CD-SR1 review

Maybe my opinion is premature (ive only had it 2 days) but...

I feel that the CD-SR1 is worth EVERY penny. Of the ~50 commands its seen so far, it has missed ZERO.

Every button works 100% of the time. Sun light, moonlight, or otherwise. I am very satisfied!

If i had read this thread i wouldnt have bought the thing, but im glad i did!

I only really wanted it for the "answer/end" buttons for Bluetooth, so other functions are not as important to me.

Abe :)

Well, I'm glad you're happy with it. To me, the main function is to get me from point A to point B. I am constantly getting lost with this, so I think the maps suck. I wish I knew who to write to about it, because Panasonic doesn't seem to care. Anyone know who supplies the maps to them?

I keep getting sent down streets that are dead ends. It's really scarey when you don't know where you are, especially at nigh! My little portable Magellan Roadmate has much more accurate maps for 1/4 the price.

Chris

If i had read this thread i wouldnt have bought the thing, but im glad i did!

I thought I'd use this as a chance to do a 2-month update:

Though I still stand by everything I said, I want to reiterate that it IS "useful for changing volume and tracks, and answering phone calls."

The (still) bad:

First off, yes - it continues to miss commands no matter where I place it. Why? because a steering wheel remote will never have perfect line of sight - they should have chosen RF (preferably tie it in to the ND-BT1). Some steering wheels may fair better than others, but if it were RF, they wouldn't have this problem. Here's a breakdown of my testing:

Day time use (in direct sunlight): Misses ~99%

Day time use (no direct sunlight): Misses ~25%

Night time use: misses <5%

In hand, base aimed directly at Z2: Misses ~0%

Because of this unreliability, I can't trust it for changing the source - I always pass the source I want and resort to on-face controls anyway. The Bluetooth Menu button is still useless, and I still wish I could swap the Voice control buttons for the simple ability to switch between the AV and MAP screens.

The (still) good:

At the same time, I *do* still like it for changing volume and skipping tracks, even though it misses a command here and there <--which is more or less what I said two months ago :)

For $20 I don't feel cheated, but at the same time it could be WAYYYY better than it is.

Interesting that Pioneer pointed the IR straight down especially since just about every vehicle has carpeted floors. Maybe they were hoping people would wear leather chaps or tight latex pants thinking they would be more reflective. Sorry, I won’t go there again. Oh wait what about sequins. Sorry sorry. So has anyone tried sticking a mirror below it and aiming the beam towards the IR eye or just straight up? I know you won’t do this when driving; it would be interesting to see if it makes a difference. Basically seeing how good a “perfect†reflector works or “ideal conditionsâ€.

corlando52, try rotating your head (with the polarized glasses on). If the screen is solid black you will need to go about 90deg to see well. Polarized lenses and LCD don’t play nicely but they do make tinting, glass tempering and may other things a trip. :P

Thanks for the well written reviews inferno999. They really add to the knowledge base around here.

I actually have had no problem at all with this remote. It works every time, on the money. The only time I have a problem is if the steering wheel is turned so the remote is on the opposite side.

Thanks for the suggestions on the polarized glasses. I just take them off when I need to look at the screen. It is a trip looking at all the different glasses and seeing rainbows, etc.

Chris

I wish I knew who to write to about it, because Panasonic doesn't seem to care. Chris

No I got you, that why the CSR would be like WTF. It took me a second but gave me a good laugh once I did see it.

Oh and just hit the "quote" button in the upper right corner of the specific reply. Your message will start with the persons text with some quote forum tags around it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello-

I recently installed a Z2 and the CD-SR1. I haven't had any issues with it, it seems to work as advertised. I have it mounted on the right hand side of the steering wheel, between the 3 and 4 o'clock position.

David

I used to use the CD-SR11 till the strap broke and I don't know how to replace it, I had it set at about 10 o'clock on the wheel but half the time it never worked or I had to press the buttons three times to get the volume to change... although when it did work I do miss it, might try buying the Z1 version and see if thats any better!