AVIC411.com

Voice command is not working.

Installed my Z1 and everything is working great except for the voice command. The mic must be plugged in correctly because it gives me the Voice command icon. Touching it brings up the initial message but no matter which voice command I try it brings up the X-icon and then askes me to touch the voice command button (again). I've talked lauder, slower, closer to the mic.....nothing.
Any ideas anyone?
My guess the mic isn't actually plugged in. I don't think the Z1 has any logic to detect the mic being plugged in as to whether it shows you the voice command icon or not, as far as I can tell it's always there.

I had my mic come unplugged a couple of times with the hassle of stuffing so many wires into such a cramped space in my dash. It would have been nice if pioneer had mad a connector that would clip in on the Z1 like the other connections.

I'd bet it's the mic connection itself. It sucks having to pull the deck back out of any install, but that's where my money would be given the description of your problem.

Ralph
[quote name="ralphhood3"]My guess the mic isn't actually plugged in. I don't think the Z1 has any logic to detect the mic being plugged in as to whether it shows you the voice command icon or not, as far as I can tell it's always there.[/quote]

Actually it does, if there is no mic, there is no icon on the screen.

And maybe since "passat 05" is from Toronto the Z1 can't understand the commands with "eh?" tacked on to the end of each one. :)
[quote name="ducatiboy"] [quote name="ralphhood3"]My guess the mic isn't actually plugged in. I don't think the Z1 has any logic to detect the mic being plugged in as to whether it shows you the voice command icon or not, as far as I can tell it's always there.[/quote]

Actually it does, if there is no mic, there is no icon on the screen.

And maybe since "passat 05" is from Toronto the Z1 can't understand the commands with "eh?" tacked on to the end of each one. :)[/quote]

Aaaahhh, you mean I shouldn't say "Destination eh"? :?

Actually it turned out to be a bum Mic.
I plugged in my earpiece from the cellphone and it works as good as any mic. Then checked the mic cable and found a soft spot in the cable. Turned out to be a break in the inner corewire. Soldered it back together and I expect this mic to be working when I get back out there.
Interesting though how well that earpiece works as a mic. :D
[quote name="Passat 05"]Aaaahhh, you mean I shouldn't say "Destination eh"? :?
[/quote]

Yah, sorry my lame attmpt at humor. I just find Bob and Doug very funny. :) Hope I didn't offend.

[quote name="Passat 05"]
Actually it turned out to be a bum Mic.
I plugged in my earpiece from the cellphone and it works as good as any mic. Then checked the mic cable and found a soft spot in the cable. Turned out to be a break in the inner corewire. Soldered it back together and I expect this mic to be working when I get back out there.
Interesting though how well that earpiece works as a mic. :D[/quote]

Wow, that stinks, I would have never thought to check the wire. It's pretty cool that your headset works as a mic, if you have the bluetooth setup have your called listen for an echo. Most of us think the stock mic kind of sucks. If you have a decent working substitute, that might be something some of us would like to try.
Yep the mic is working now and Ducatiboy, I can now confirm that Navi-Heidi actually does understand Canadian. "Destination eh" works just as good as "Destination". .....That's a relieve, at least now I don't have to learn myself US.
Offended?? Never!! :D :lol:
[quote name="ducatiboy"]
Wow, that stinks, I would have never thought to check the wire. It's pretty cool that your headset works as a mic, if you have the bluetooth setup have your called listen for an echo. Most of us think the stock mic kind of sucks. If you have a decent working substitute, that might be something some of us would like to try.[/quote]
Don't have the bluetooth yet but can confirm that other mics will work just fine with 'voice command'. :idea:
[quote name="Passat 05"]Don't have the bluetooth yet but can confirm that other mics will work just fine with 'voice command'. :idea:[/quote]

Well tell us what you plugged in there which works, I'm sure someone here with bluetooth is dying to try another mic.
Since I have no Voice Icon at all and have never seen it once since installation you guys think that the mic was never plugged in?

Quite possible that they guy ran the wire and either forgot to plug it in or it came out when putting the Z1 into the dash.

I should find out when my Bluetooth comes in this week. Where should the bluetooth be installed to get a good signal from the cell phone? Any pointers greatly appreciated. Thanks.
[quote name="hellmaster"]Since I have no Voice Icon at all and have never seen it once since installation you guys think that the mic was never plugged in? [/quote]

Yep, it's not plugged in. Otherwise you would have the icon, it's not smart enough to actually sense the mic, my guess is that it's the "sense" that there is a plug in the back, if the wire is cut before the mic, it would still show you the icon.

[quote name="hellmaster"]
Quite possible that they guy ran the wire and either forgot to plug it in or it came out when putting the Z1 into the dash.[/quote]

It could be, that's exactly what I did. :)

[quote name="hellmaster"]
I should find out when my Bluetooth comes in this week. Where should the bluetooth be installed to get a good signal from the cell phone? Any pointers greatly appreciated. Thanks.[/quote]

It doesn't really matter, mine is behind the dash. It comes with 3 feet of wire so you can put it somewhere other than right behind the Z1. You might not want to run it further away from you, where depends on the vehicle, but you might want to just run it to under the steering wheel or somewhere close to where you might store your phone (in you pocket or in the center console).
[quote name="ducatiboy"]
Well tell us what you plugged in there which works, I'm sure someone here with bluetooth is dying to try another mic.[/quote]
Just a $5 no-name earpiece.
[img]http://img430.imageshack.us/img430/3259/mic807vg7.jpg[/img]
I was not able to tell a difference between this and the Pioneer mic.
Both work the same close up and at arm length, eh. :lol:
  • 2 weeks later...