AVIC411.com

Factory DVD in 06 Expedition

Hi -

New guy here. I bought an 06 Ford Expedition King Ranch with the factory DVD player in the 2d row. I bought the Z1 today, along with XM Radio (and NavTraffic - I live in Houston - 'nuff said) and the SWI-PS adapter for my steering wheel. I also bought DucatiBoy's Z1-FC. I'm looking forward to receiving all of this and installing it myself, which should be an adventure. My time is valuable, but I would rather have the satisfaction of doing it myself than taking it somewhere and have them do it (and scratch up my Castano leather seats in the process!).

I've read a couple of posts from guys that have Fords with rear-seat DVD players. One guy (Circuit City installation) said that his DVD player still worked, and that when a DVD was played through it, audio would come through [b]headphones only[/b], but that when a DVD was placed in the Z1, audio was through [b]all speakers[/b]. This is how I want my units to work. Does anyone know, if I do a "regular install," will the units work like that, or will I have to do a special wiring procedure to get this to work?

Thanks. This is a great website!
my second row factory dvd in my 2003 Explorer works with the wireless headphones, and I'm able to watch a seperate dvd in the AVIC-Z1 with sound through the speakers....I made sure it would work after the install....plus upfront I said that's what I wanted to do.
Maybe I am misunderstanding your post, brachoza, but it sounds like you're telling me that I cannot use a factory DVD player without the OEM radio, but niteone seemed to contradict that.

I'll keep my fingers crossed when I install mine. I guess as a last resort, after I install it myself, I could have a professional installer finish the wiring for me.
In fords you can use the factory overhead in the way you're looking to. It will require some extra steps though in order to make it work. I don't remember what it was exactly that is required to do. I'll check at work tomorrow and see if I still have it laying around in my box.
[quote name="cntrylvr79"]In fords you can use the factory overhead in the way you're looking to. It will require some extra steps though in order to make it work. I don't remember what it was exactly that is required to do. I'll check at work tomorrow and see if I still have it laying around in my box.[/quote]

That's good news. I would really appreciate the information, if you still have it. I'm planning on starting the install process Friday evening and completing it Saturday morning/afternoon.

Thanks for your offer to help. If you can't find it, but you might know where I can find the information, that would be just as well.
The CAN bus architecture requires some different methodology. Traditional methods will not work. Right now, there are a couple of members here who have done what you want...with CAN....but have had to retain the factory head unit. They have hidden it somewhere. There are threads on it...I would try searching for them.
[quote name="03Aviator"]The CAN bus architecture requires some different methodology. Traditional methods will not work. Right now, there are a couple of members here who have done what you want...with CAN....but have had to retain the factory head unit. They have hidden it somewhere. There are threads on it...I would try searching for them.[/quote]

Will do. Thanks!
[quote name="thisiszachary"] [quote name="03Aviator"]The CAN bus architecture requires some different methodology. Traditional methods will not work. Right now, there are a couple of members here who have done what you want...with CAN....but have had to retain the factory head unit. They have hidden it somewhere. There are threads on it...I would try searching for them.[/quote]

Will do. Thanks![/quote]

I just chatted with Crutchfield, and a second time, was assured that the OEM DVD functionality would not be lost (and that I didn't need to perform extra wiring) when I install the Z1. We'll see what happens. I'm not counting on it, because I'm sure Crutchfield will say whatever to make the sale, but we'll see what happens.
I just chatted with Crutchfield, and a second time, was assured that the OEM DVD functionality would not be lost (and that I didn't need to perform extra wiring) when I install the Z1. We'll see what happens. I'm not counting on it, because I'm sure Crutchfield will say whatever to make the sale, but we'll see what happens.[/quote]

Like I mentioned before...my 2003 Explorer rear DVD works with the headphones and I'm, able to watch a separate DVD on the Avic-z1 with sound through the speakers.

I don't know what they did to do that, but my works the way I want and I think you’re wanting also.

installed last saturday
[quote name="niteone"]I just chatted with Crutchfield, and a second time, was assured that the OEM DVD functionality would not be lost (and that I didn't need to perform extra wiring) when I install the Z1. We'll see what happens. I'm not counting on it, because I'm sure Crutchfield will say whatever to make the sale, but we'll see what happens.[/quote]

Like I mentioned before...my 2003 Explorer rear DVD works with the headphones and I'm, able to watch a separate DVD on the Avic-z1 with sound through the speakers.

I don't know what they did to do that, but my works the way I want and I think you’re wanting also.

installed last saturday[/quote]

Yeah. I'm installing myself, and I hope mine works that way too. I searched the forum more specifically and found the post where the user kept the old Ford OEM head unit behind the dash. Not acceptable. If it doesn't work simply by installing the new Z1, I may have to return to the drawing (wiring!) board. Literally. Either that, or take it to an installer and let them deal with it.
I've always felt there was a way to do this. It might involve the use of some creative thinking when it comes to wiring...and you need to ensure you are using the correct voltages to control the rear unit...but I think it can be done. I have a friend who bought a factory rear dvd unit out of a wrecked Aviator and installed it in his Aviator with an aftermarket head unit. It worked perfect. But he said he had to think about it to get it to work right...and he's very good with this sort of stuff. Also, the 03 Aviator should be CAN. I would be surprised if the 03 Explorer is. Different animals all together.
[quote name="03Aviator"]I've always felt there was a way to do this. It might involve the use of some creative thinking when it comes to wiring...and you need to ensure you are using the correct voltages to control the rear unit...but I think it can be done. I have a friend who bought a factory rear dvd unit out of a wrecked Aviator and installed it in his Aviator with an aftermarket head unit. It worked perfect. But he said he had to think about it to get it to work right...and he's very good with this sort of stuff. Also, the 03 Aviator should be CAN. I would be surprised if the 03 Explorer is. Different animals all together.[/quote]

I'm sure there's a way to do it short of keeping an almost completely useless head unit stuffed into the dashboard. Unfortunately, I'm not the most electronically literate among the crowd, so after a few minutes of thinking it through, if I couldn't figure it out, I would have to give up and rely on a professional. :?:
The rear DVD unit receives its power from a harness behind the factory head unit, I don't remember the color wire, but I have done it a few times on Explorers, Excursions and Expeditions. For some reason, light green with a red stripe comes to mind, and I was able to get audio into and out of the rear unit, but only video into the rear screen(through the aux jacks on the front of the fact. DVD), EXCEPT on the 05-up explorer, the dvd would power up, then shut down if there was not a dvd in it, so the aux jacks were no longer functioning. Just trial and error.....