AVIC411.com

Shortened NAV antenna wire- NO SIGNAL!

hi-

appears i did something stupid on my install.

i have my GPS antenna at the base of my windshield, so i don't need it to be too long, it was kind of unwieldly getting it behind the dash to close things up. so i cut out a large length of the GPS antenna cable and re-spliced it, just like a speaker wire. now it doesn't work.

i know i can order another antenna, but i was hoping maybe there's a fix for this w/o having to purchase a new antenna and w/o having to reinstall and remove and reinstall my dash again.

thanks in advance.

thanx for the reply. i see that now. i think i'll try to resplice as 2 separate wires later this week. esp since the a replacement antenna appears to be $50. a bit steep.

as long as it ends up working, i think it'll have been worth it. way too much antenna to run 2 feet to the windshield.

splicing satellite antennas rerely works out well

done a lot of it, then, i presume?

no, i've never cut one. but any time one of those thin ass xm antennas accidentallt breaks, its just not worth it to try and fix it. i just replace it

But it so much fun reconnecting the cunt hairs on the center conductor. :lol:

Have had to do it a couple times thanks to a few careless exemployees.

the ant is matched to the length of the cable kinda like cb ant's have to be matched for the swr and when you cut out a section larger than a couple of inches it screws the signal up. I have had to splice and solder a cable that was pinched and it worked well and yes I have tried to cut the cable down shorter and had recption issues, when I did a test by adding the cut out section back in the recption was much better, so I had to replace the ant & full cable.