AVIC411.com

Scosche, Metra or other?

I'm going to install a D3X with XM in my 2003 Ford Explorer Sport Trac. What installation equipment brand do you all recommend (e.g. Scosche vs. Metra). As far as I know, I'll need a double-din mounting kit (I've already read about the bezel modification for sport tracs), a wiring harness, and soldering equipment. Anything else?

The fit around the face of the D3 was not what I would like. I ended up cutting the top edge off the kit to make it work. Once it was installed, you really could not tell what had been done, but I knew. The dash of the Mustang hangs over the radio, so it did not look bad. The Sport Trak may be a different story. I have the Metra kit for my car sitting on my toolbox right now, I just need time to swap kits over.

Besides, I feel Metra makes a better kit overall.

Where is the best place to buy Metra kits? Is there a sponsor/vendor here that is preferred? I know the easy answer is eBay, but if I can help out a supporting vendor, I'd like to do that (if it doesn't run me an arm or leg).

I installed the D3 in my Impala with the free Scosche kit from Crutchfield and don't like the look & texture of the unit. My HVAC and surrounding area is smooth, but the Scosche is textured, so it looks out of place. I think the Metra kit is completely smooth and sits flush with the surrounding trim plate.

IMG_5085.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hey All - So I installed D3 in 2007 F-250. I used the metal mounting brackets off the side of the factory unit. BUT my D3 is a good 1/4 - 1/2 inch outside of dash. I want it to be flush with dash.

is there a cage or installation kit that will set the unit back for me, so it's flush.

Could not have installed AVIC without "AVIC411.com" Thanks

First off, is there enough clearance behind the unit to go back farther? Some trucks, like GM's HD's, don't have the optimal clearance for the unit.

If so, most dash/install kits are adjustable to allow you to move it in/out.

If there's a plastic wall behind it that is causing the wires to bunch up and keep the unit from going back farther, you can always cut out some holes with a dremel.

One way to check is to look up D3 fitment in your truck at Crutchfield. If they say it doesn't fit, but your's does, it's b/c the cavity isn't deep enough to handle the bunches of wires back there. An eMail to them will do you wonders if you wanna go that route. Their CS is second to none, IMO.

Hey All - So I installed D3 in 2007 F-250. I used the metal mounting brackets off the side of the factory unit. BUT my D3 is a good 1/4 - 1/2 inch outside of dash. I want it to be flush with dash.

is there a cage or installation kit that will set the unit back for me, so it's flush.

Could not have installed AVIC without "AVIC411.com" Thanks

The dash kit should have come with 4 1/4" spacers on a plstice tree. If not, pm me I think I have some left over at work.