AVIC411.com

2-wire grounding / flasher circuit / Z-1 to Z-2 upgrade

My AVIC-Z1 was made in March 2006 and it still has the factory original software loaded on it.

I bought a SMinnTech Z1-FC (Z1 Flasher Circuit) but have not installed it yet, because I am going to upgrade to a Z-2. I also intend to switch over to the 2-wire grounding method, in preparation for the Z-2 upgrade.

My question is, if I install the flasher circuit now, and get everything working fine, will upgrading to Z-2 change anything?

Maybe my question is more: will the 2-wire grounding method in conjunction with the flasher circuit work for the Z-1 and in the future, for a Z-2 upgrade?

I am taking my car in today, so any advice you can tell today me would great! Thanks!

Funny...I just had this exact conversation with Steve yesterday. I wanted to know if I could leave his flasher in place when I upgraded to a Z2 on one of our Z1's. That way, if the new drive we're installing (Z2 drive) ever fails, all we would need to do is plug the Z1 drive back in and be good to go.

His thoughts were that his flasher left in place with the Z2 drive and bypass should cause no issues. However, having the 2 wire bypass in place with a Z1 drive may cause some issues and shouldn't be done.