AVIC411.com

What to do with "extra" Metra GMOS wires

2006 Impala SS - GMOS-LAN-01 - D3

I'm about done wiring up the GMOS to the D3 harness, but i'm left with:

On the Pioneer side:

- Parking Brake - needs to be grounded for bypass...I know. Can this be grounded to Black ground wire?

- Antenna Control (Blue) - don't have a power antenna

On the Metra/GMOS side:

- Brown wire (for MUTE) but this will go unused (?) I have onstar, and would still like the unit to MUTE when a call is made/received. What to do since we're moving the mute wire from the Pioneer side? Just connect it to the Pioneer mute?

- Green wire - Supposed to connect to P-brake, so this won't be used and will be taped off.

- Blue/White wire - Supposed to connect to "Amp turn on" - which I don't see on this harness. Is it on the OTHER Pioneer harness? I don't have access to it atm, so I can't see for myself. Is connecting the Blue "Power Antenna" wire with the "Amp Turn On" wire the same? They serve the same basic function, don't they? An quick pulse to the motor or amp to "wake it up"?

Thanks for your help!

Yes you can connect the parking brake wire to the black ground wire and that will work fine.

Antenna Control you don't need to hook up.

Not sure on the Brown wire, haven't had experience with onstar, but I would guess you would have to hook it up to the original MUTE position on the D3 harness.

Blue/white - Yes, the remote amp-on wire from the D3 is on the secondary harness with the RCA connectors. Connect that to the amp turn on wire from the Metra. The power antenna is a little different because there is a setting in the D3 that controls when the Power Antenna wire is hot (either with just the radio tuner, or with the whole unit). I would just hook it up to the proper wire on the 2nd harness. It isn'y a quick pulse, it is a 12v source while the car is on.

Thanks. It's all hooked up and with only 2 problems. I cannot view the "vehicle speed" screen...cannot remember the exact error, but there is an error that pops up. I have the VSS wire connected to the correct VSS wire on the GMOS, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Also, I've got the dreaded OnStar mute shutoff when using OnStar. The entire unit shuts down. I saw someone complain about this issue so I;ll search for that info.

I didn't. But after reading some, I'm seeing that I may have to buy another similar harness and use one line and plug it into the old "mute" location on the pioneer side and then connect the mute wire from the metra to that.

Sound right?

Yes, sorry if I wasn't clear above but that is what I suggested there.

You can probably just buy those little connectors and make you own without buying a whole harness...but whichever is easier to get is probably the better route.