AVIC411.com

Avic-Z2 installed in 2007 NBS Silverado

Here are some pics of the install, this may be of some use to some of you that are trying to install the Avic unit in your NBS truck.

If you have never installed a head unit in a car/truck before and/or dont feel comfortable splicing/crimping wires, you should seek help from someone who has experience or pay a professional to install it. If you destroy or damage anything by using the tips/pics provided below, I am not responsible :roll:

VSS Info:

To find the VSS Wire in the 2007 Silverado / GMC New Body Style:

1.) Under driver's side dash to the left of the steering column (closest to the brake pedal).

2.) Pop the large black cover off. (see Pic)

3.) Squeeze the two clips at the top, and pull up and outward to take it off the bracket.

4.) Carefully turn the unit around.

5.) You will probably need to take off a little tape holding the wires together in the center bundle (See Pic).

6.) The VSS wire is green with white tracer (See Pic).

post-12688-12872753780153_thumb.jpg

post-12688-12872753780966_thumb.jpg

post-12688-12872753781706_thumb.jpg

post-12688-12872753782495_thumb.jpg

post-12688-12872753783323_thumb.jpg

post-12688-12872753784139_thumb.jpg

post-12688-12872753785058_thumb.jpg

post-12688-1287275378598_thumb.jpg

post-12688-12872753786677_thumb.jpg

post-12688-12872753787565_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hey real good install, I am installing on a 05 avalanche this week and was wondering about the wheel controls..my chevy already has the steering wheel controls for the stock unit, will I still need a seperate adapter or can I use same wiring? Is that what you did..?

Thanks

Hey real good install, I am installing on a 05 avalanche this week and was wondering about the wheel controls..my chevy already has the steering wheel controls for the stock unit, will I still need a seperate adapter or can I use same wiring? Is that what you did..?

Thanks

You will need an adapter for the steering wheel controls. I used the PAC SWI-PS.

• 2 weeks later...

From the instruction manual of the Z2 it says "Violet/white (REVERSEGEAR SIGNAL INPUT) This is connected so that the navigation system can detect whether the vehicle is moving forwards or backwards" pg14 Where did you find this wire at in your Silverado?

Or is that the wire you connected back at the spare tire? The reason I ask this is because that wire in you picutre looks to be blue and white and I really dont want to run one wire all the way back there just for a reverse signal. There has to be a wire somewhere under the dash to get this signal.

Teh New Steering wheel. I Have an 08 Lt1, and would like the steering wheel controls as well. I have ordered the SR-1 to mount onthe wheel itself, but the new wheel would be better.

Do you have the part number and cost? as far as replcing it, did you have to pull the airbag? I work as a custom audio installer so Im sure i can handle it just want to know whats involved.

As far as installing, yours looks nice, however for others there is an easier way. I see he used a chime module to retain door chime, and then a Pac Audio adaptor.

Metra Electronics makes and Adaptor that will do everything for you.

check metraonline.com for exact part number. This adaptor will give you the following.

VSS (speed sense) output

Reverse Output

Door chime is built into the module

Retains Onstar (Onstar works 100%)

Has speaker in and out for your new radio

Parking Brake output

Turn signal output.

The custom shop I work at doesnt carry the Pac-Audio parts, so im not sure exactly what the part pictured will or wont do, but I see that it doesnt do Reverse or VSS, Also the Metra part has the door chime adaptor built into it where the chime still comes out your door speaker.

Its 1 module that picks up all the info from the truck Via Databus, then converts it to analog outputs for adding an aftermarket mod.

To install a radio (any radio) you will need the Metra adaptor, a mounting kit, and an antenna adaptor. Done. Takes 1-1.5 hours for a pro.

as far as GPS antenna, you can put it on the metal just behind the VIN in the front window. That panel with the Defroster opening it it, pops up (not completely) but enough to put the GPS antenna in, as well as an XM antenna. just less distance to run wires. Either spot will work.

FYI if your installing an AVIC product into a 2nd vehicle (pulled out of 1st vehicle) make sure you reset your setting in MENU-SYSTEM SETTINGS-HARDWARE-CALIBRATION, or your speed pulse will be way off, and GPS wont work properly.

good luck

Wolfz23

• 2 weeks later...