AVIC411.com

I have an 06 subaru wrx with a avic-z2. It has the latest firmware update on it. The GPS magnet thing is behind the receiver on a metal pole facing up. Now sometimes it gets awesome signal and gives me directions perfect, but other times I could be in the same place and the gps is off sometimes as much at .25miles. Any ideas on what I can do to improve my signal or what is wrong?

There is a difference between being off by a quarter mile on the map and "poor routing." You're way off here

its not the mounting of the gps, it pioneer poor routing, because mine is like that too. maybe pioneer is taking so long with the updates because they are fixing these problems.
not to be a smart a** or anything, but why would I have signal one time perfect and not another in the same place with same weather conditions then?

sorry to hear you're having a bad experience with yours.

I've had my Z for 2 years (since the month it came out) in two different cars, one with the antenna on the roof and VSS hooked up, and the other with the antenna on the dash and no VSS. Never once has it lost signal or given me a half-mile discrepancy in my location, and I'm usually driving around S.F. with all buildings all around.

It sounds like your problems are with your setup, not with the Z1/Z2.

I'm having problems with this too. But, admittedly, my antenna is UNDER the dash, although the unit says reception is fine at all times (XM works fine too). My daily journey consists of one parking garage to another, and I'm trying to figure out if that is what is messing with it or what. I'm REALLY hoping the problem isn't with the antenna being under the day.

I reset the position last night while sitting at an intersection, and it seems good so far. If I gotta move the antenna, I will, but I'm going to exhaust any other solutions first.

My GPS antenna is also under the dash and I've also noticed that my reception seems to vary day to day. In the same location (my driveway), with my vehicle pointed the same way, I'll get 1 orange satellite 1 day and 5 the next. I was suspecting that maybe my antenna was sliding around a bit, but so far I'm too lazy to check.

As far as I know, GPS signal strength is not significantly affected by weather.

• 3 weeks later...

Well my antenna is on the roof, hasn't moved at all, and my GPS thinks I am driving sideways some times. and then gets all confused. Today it thought I was going backwards. I have fixed it a couple of times (settings) and it is just being stupid. My installer has been having trouble with the 2 Wire Bypass, and maybe that is it. I think that second wire is not properly installed. Looking for someone in the Toronto area to give it a second opinion.