AVIC411.com

best buy install and bypass question

Noob here. First I have to say this site is awesome and a wealth of knowledge. I tried a search and couldn't find an answer, so I hope I'm not repeating anything. Does anyone know if Best Buy will install a D3 if I do the bypass prior to bringing it to them? Or would I have to have them do the install and d the bypass after?I have an appointment on Sunday and would like to know before I brought it in. Thanks!

Thanks for the answer. So how hard would it be to do the bypass after it is installed? I have never done my own car stereo install, but have taken electronics apart and put them back together again with success. What is the mute wire connected to in an authorized install? would i cut the connection and then connect it to the black ground with a tap? I guess the same question would be with the parking break as well. Any tips would be GREATLY appreciated.

The mute wire will most likely not be connected to anything in a normal install. It will probably just be capped off. And yes, you would just connect them (parking brake and mute wires) to the black ground wire with taps. Then of course move the mute wire pin on the harness.

But of course, first you have to know how to take apart the dash to get the unit out.

Yeah, depending on how hard it is to get there, it may/not be worth trying to force the issue with the installer. I can get my radio out in less than 3min (theif's dream) with a philips screwdriver. Doing the bypass shouldn't take but another 10min with wire taps.

Depends on what you're driving, i guess.

I can get mine out of my '06 Impala in a couple minutes with a philips screwdriver. :? In the 00-05 Impala, you need to tear open the entire dash to get to it. More secure, sure. But a PITA if you need to keep changing/adding things.

This is is what I would do. Move the mute wire and ground it before you take it to them. Tell them its a mod that you did to it. Tell them not to mess with it or the radio won't work. After the install reach under the dash and look for the wire connected to your parking brake, remove it and ground it. That should be easy to do.

You are also assuming the installer doesn't know about the bypass. Most installers are aware of what is needed to bypass these units and know what wires are suppose to go where. If you take a harness in and tell them not to mess with the wires, I am sure they are not complete idiots. If they were I wouldn't want them installing anything in my car. Talk to the installer, most of them are pretty cool about things like this. They might even leave the wires in an easy to get to place and you have to do is connect them together.