AVIC411.com

are there any phones that actually work with the avic D3?

I have had the avic D3 installed for over a year now...

My phone (cingular 8125) works as far as making calls (it syncs) but no caller ID, contacts list... nothing else works with it.

I have also had the same problem using any of my friends phones

I wanted to know if any phone work 100% with this unit?

any pda type phone

blackberry

blackjack

iphone

anything?

Im about to get a new phone and want to know what my options are.

Thanks in advance

The most IMPORTANT blue tooth feature IMHO, is the voice dialing. I have tried a Razor V3i and now a Motorola Q 9h Global. Voice dialing does NOT work on either. I feel the bluetooth module was wasted money.

BTW, Jetware says it's incompatible with the Q anyway...

I am less and less happy with the whole AVIC D3 system all the time. It may wind up on ebay soon...

-> Blue tooth usability is horrible. Without voice dial, either you continue to dial with the phone, or the use the screen interface. Either way, the blue tooth headset is a better option....

-> Ipod interface is seriously clumsy. Try finding something on a 60 gig Ipod. By the time you get done scrolling through the list, you are already at your destination... Very frustrating...

-> XM song /artist display is stupidly truncated, yet there is plenty of room on the display!!! What genius decided on that???

-> Why can't I have "Favorites" stored for XM stations, then scroll through them with the two buttons below the volume knob? This is just dumb. I need to drive, not fumble with the screen displays...

-> The GPS is horrible in my experience. I usally take my Garmin along because it works so much better and is easier to use.

The most IMPORTANT blue tooth feature IMHO, is the voice dialing. I have tried a Razor V3i and now a Motorola Q 9h Global. Voice dialing does NOT work on either. I feel the bluetooth module was wasted money.

BTW, Jetware says it's incompatible with the Q anyway...

I am less and less happy with the whole AVIC D3 system all the time. It may wind up on ebay soon...

-> Blue tooth usability is horrible. Without voice dial, either you continue to dial with the phone, or the use the screen interface. Either way, the blue tooth headset is a better option....

I agree that no voice dial is a big downfall for the unit, but I think it's still well worth the money. You don't have to wear a goofy headset, nor do you need to hold the phone for more than a couple seconds at most if you need to make the call that way.

I guess if you call tons of people from the car, it would suck to use the screen. Me? I have my 6 most frequently called #s set as presets and it's just a two-press sequence to dial. I have 9 other "speed dial" numbers on my phone that I can do by feel whenever necessary.

-> XM song /artist display is stupidly truncated, yet there is plenty of room on the display!!! What genius decided on that???

Haven't run into a problem with this. Are you using a Pioneer tuner? I've got the GEX-P920XM and never seem to have this issue.

-> Why can't I have "Favorites" stored for XM stations, then scroll through them with the two buttons below the volume knob? This is just dumb. I need to drive, not fumble with the screen displays...

I might agree with this, but my steering wheel controls scroll via preset, so I have no need to touch the screen.

-> The GPS is horrible in my experience. I usally take my Garmin along because it works so much better and is easier to use.

Haven't used it a ton, but so far, so good. I'll be taking a trip soon, so I guess I'll have some more input on this later on.

The most IMPORTANT blue tooth feature IMHO, is the voice dialing. ~~ I feel the bluetooth module was wasted money.

I have to agree on this, I feel like I wasted money on the BT adapter because it does not do what I bought it for.

This part strikes a nerve! I have a custom install in my BMW. Like custom to the point I had to cut into my AC vents to make this unit fit. It was ALOT of work and HOURS of messing with it to make it a perfect fit. I even dropped $250 on a custom faceplate for this unit to make it appear like it came stock with the car.... all that and now I might trade out for another unit that had a bigger screen and works 100% with any BT PDA phone.

I dont have this issue, it may be a setting I used because it scrolls the name for me and usually fits. although I mainly keep the screen on with the gauges and not the XM

another good point, the setup to scroll is kinda lame. I lost me stering wheel controls because I was told that after I install the stering wheel adapter it might not work and Id still have to pay for the unit and the install... i opted not to get that done.

Well I guess for now Ill settle on just being able to send / receive calls with the head unit and with no caller ID ot contact list. I wont let that affect me getting the phone I want anymore. ill just get another headunit down the road. this is my 2nd avic unit but I doubt ill get another.

I agree that no voice dial is a big downfall for the unit, but I think it's still well worth the money. You don't have to wear a goofy headset, nor do you need to hold the phone for more than a couple seconds at most if you need to make the call that way.

My expectation was that the voicedial would work in the same manner as the headset (actually just a one-ear deal that I use). Hit one button, tell the phone what to do. It's efficent and safe in traffic. A handful of presets isn't going to do it for me...

I too have the GEX-P920XM.