AVIC411.com

BLUETOOTH - WHO IS TO BLAME????

What is the deal with Bluetooth? Why isn't three an industry standard for Bluetooth, like USB? Everybody blames the other guy for pairing issues and problems. For examble, i cant pair my Palm Treo 755 to my Z2. Palm says there is an incompatability problems caused by Pioneer and they are trying to get Pioneer to correct the problem. Pioneer says there is an incompatability problem with Palm Treo and says they are trying to get Palm to correct the problem. Now thats one hell of answer,, aint it... I'll tell you what,, I vote for a Bluetooth industry standard. Lets get eveyone in the loop and do it right.

That's an unfair comparison, as USB is much simpler and doesn't have to do nearly as much when it comes to pairing,wireless discovery, audio streaming, data transfer, mapping synchronization, OBEX and sync profiles, etc. *head spins*

edit: not to mention, every usb device requires a specific device driver, written specifically for that device. Do you have to install a driver for your phone on your headset for it to work? nope. Fortunately, there's a common "Disk Drive" driver built into Windows, so at the very least, most flash-based devices can show up as a drive without having to install drivers. With printers, some have drivers already in XP, many do not. There's easily hundreds of thousands of devices and drivers. Without them, USB is just a protocol and isn't nearly as magical as you're making it out to be.

Anyway, bluetooth DOES have standards called Bluetooth Profiles. Different versions and implementations of bluetooth support different profiles. Of these profiles, some are dependent on parent profiles, and phone manufacturers are free to implement whichever profiles they want or don't want. Even then, there's nothing to say they'll get it wrong.

I get what you're saying -- you want it to just work. I just hope you understand that it's far more complicated than you think. For example, here's a diagram of the profiles in 2.0 and their dependencies. If there were a table like this for USB, there's just be 1 box, lol!.

• 4 months later...

The treo is about the worst there is when pairing, and not with just pioneer.

Then there are the wireless companies (verizon) who limit the blue-tooth capabilities for their own greed. Lock the phone down in order to force customers to pay the carrier for ring tones and other crap. One phone will work just fine from one carrier, and the same phone on a different carrier will not.

There is a bluetooth standard, but there is no regulation over it.

• 9 months later...