AVIC411.com

another ipod classic ?

i have the newest classic that has no issues with the avic controls ,i cant get the video to play thru the avic d3. i searched many times i cant figure out if the 50 dollar apple cable is needed or will it play thru the ipod cable hooked to the d3 , or do i need both cables hooked up or get the older firm ware version-thanks chris

I'm confused as heck with the whole ipod situation. I have one of the newer 80gb ipods (just purchased a week ago from Best Buy) and am considering installing a D3 in my vehicle. I was thinking, based on information that I've read from various threads on this forum, that I would need to take my ipod back and get an old one off of ebay. If all is required is a cable from Apple, I would rather keep the new ipod and do that. Therefore, is this all that people need to do who have a new ipod? Just to avoid any confusion - I'm referring to the ability to use the ipod to display video as well as audio.

Also, on another note, does the D3 show album art from mp3's? I like how my new ipod does this and was wondering if the D3 would as well.

Ok, the earlier ipods would transfer video perfectly fine through the CDI200 cable from Pioneer. That cable also allows on-screen interface for music, and charges the ipod.

The new classics will not output video through that cable unless you happen to have one with firmware version 1.0.2 or downgrade your ipod to that. If you don't want to bother with that, you can buy the apple cable you described. It will not charge your ipod and you will not be able to control anything from the D3, you will do everything from the ipod. Thats a huge pain in the ass so it really is easier to just buy one of the 5th gen 80 gig ipod videos instead. But thats just me

And the D3 will not show album art

P.S. The Apple site sells refurbs with a one year warranty for $189 plus tax

Ok, the earlier ipods would transfer video perfectly fine through the CDI200 cable from Pioneer. That cable also allows on-screen interface for music, and charges the ipod.

The new classics will not output video through that cable unless you happen to have one with firmware version 1.0.2 or downgrade your ipod to that. If you don't want to bother with that, you can buy the apple cable you described. It will not charge your ipod and you will not be able to control anything from the D3, you will do everything from the ipod. Thats a huge pain in the ass so it really is easier to just buy one of the 5th gen 80 gig ipod videos instead. But thats just me

Ahhhh... thank you very much for the clarification. That helps me to make a very easy decision - back goes my new ipod. I'll go ahead and find a used one on ebay for around 100-125 bucks. One other question concerning the iPod, I've read posts about people needing to make playlists for some reason to access their music. I got a little confused while reading those threads. Bottom line question is that if I have an older generation iPod, will accessing 40GB of music by selecting Genre and then going through artists, be fairly easy to do through the controls of the D3?

Last question for clarification, above you stated "earlier ipods would transfer video perfectly fine through the CDI200 cable from Pioneer". The "would" confuses me - I assume based on what you've written and what I've read is that they still will, correct? The use of would sort of makes it sound as though they used to be able to do this but no longer do. If you would, please clarify. Thanks again for your help! :)

Yes, the generations up to six transfer video perfectly. I use an 80 gig video and it works great.

The reason people make playlists is because when you have a ton of music on the ipod, it takes forever to scroll through all of it from the D3. For example, if you have 500 artists on your ipod and you want to get to M, you have to hit the down arrow a bunch of times to scroll that far down the list

If it plays video the way it is now, you don't need anything. If you ever choose to update the firmware, it will no longer play video and you will need to buy the apple cable to get video. Audio will work fine though

its the updated ipod and yes it plys audio fine ,if i get the apple cable it goes in the headphone jack right? would i leave the d3 ipod cable plugged in as well? and last one - i have read on the threads some were having problems with the ipod controls on the d3 with the old version,if i redo my ipod to the old firmware is this going to cause a problem with the controls on the d3?

No, the apple cable plugs in the bottom just like the Pioneer so you can't have both hooked up.

Not sure what ipod control problems you are mean.

its the updated ipod and yes it plys audio fine ,if i get the apple cable it goes in the headphone jack right? would i leave the d3 ipod cable plugged in as well? and last one - i have read on the threads some were having problems with the ipod controls on the d3 with the old version,if i redo my ipod to the old firmware is this going to cause a problem with the controls on the d3?