AVIC411.com

AM Radio Not Working

Hi All,

I just got a Z1 installed (bought it used) and for some reason AM radio is not working. FM appears to be working fine.

Am I stuck with a defective unit or am I dealing with a loose wire somewhere?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!!

I wasn't the one that did the install so i'm not really sure!

It's a 2003 Audi A4 1.8T.

If your car has an antenna that extends / retracts into your vehicle, then it is a power antenna.

If that antenna is powered, but isn't extending, then they forgot to attach the blue wire that controlls the power antenna.

If your car does not have a power antenna, it's possible that they forgot to plug the antenna into your head unit at all, but you most likely wouldn't be picking up FM if that was the case.

Just for kicks...I decided to try my AM radion on my Z1. It does not pick up any am channels......the FM works great....I never listen to AM radio, but was suprised to find out it did ot pick up any stations. I used to work on radio's years ago. Alot of AM radio's used an oscillator circuit that had to be adjusted when the radio was installed in the car. This oscillator fine tuned the antenna for max reception. I wonder if the Z1 needs this adjustment. Oh well....i really don't care about the AM anyway.

Everything appears to be connected. What's odd is that if we disconnect the antenna and stick an exposed wire in there it works! Doesn't work with the factory antenna is plugged in for some reason.

And this is ONLY AM.

Any other thoughts would be appreciated.