AVIC411.com

Distortion with Z2, 350Z with Bose system.

So my Bose system in my 350Z sounded awesome with the stock headunit. I could turn it near its max volume which by the way goes way louder than the Z2, and would get just the tiniest distortion. So i put the Z2 in and now it seems to distort real easy. Like at only volume level 28. I thought i heard somewhere it is because there is amps at each speaker as well as headunit and so the speakers get overdriven. This could be way off not sure. But i know that the speakers are capable of much higher volumes without distorting. Would inline boosters help? Also i get a little static pop sound every time i push the brake and it hits the switch that turns the brake light on, is this a ground issue? Any help would be appreciated.

I have an 03 350Z (Bose from the factory), and I don't have this problem at all... In fact, the head unit is so loud that I take it to about level 10 and I fear that I'm risking going deaf.

A while back, Nissan did a factory recall on the amplifier, did you get yours swapped out? If not, that might help.

Since I took out my factory Bose 6-Disk, I've also had an Eclipse AVN5435 in my Z, and the Z2 is putting out more power to the speakers than both of my previous head units.

Mine gets loud don't get me wrong, but the factory 6 disc Bose would get louder without distortion. Was it a recall on the amps or what? Mine is an '03.

Some movies i play are real quiet especially with road noise but i have notice that varies greatly on the movie, some movies are recorded at much lower volumes than others. Some movies i have to turn it all the way up to 40, even then it is a little difficult to hear.

Actually, that is a common problem with BOSE systems. THe best way to fix this is to install a sound level adjuster (Scosche FAI-3 or SLC-4) between your headunit and your speakers. This will allow you to dial down the volume leaving your headunit going to the amplifiers.... by doing this, you can once again get a very nice range of volume without distortion!

It is an install issue.

Like the above post states, you need to turn down the output of the radio in order to interface with the Bose system properly.

There are 2 ways to do it..

The best way is to install a converter, 4 channel, high level in (speaker wires input) that will output to either RCA, or Speaker wires.

There are 2 harnesses for the vehicle, 1 with RCA, and 1 standard.

Either will work, it just depends on how much wiring you want to do.

(RCA version you plug in 4 RCA's to the harness, speaker wire you wire in 8 wires)

Your popping noise is caused by too much input to the factory amplifier, as well a different ground points.

In the Nissan harness (aftermarket harness that plugs into your factory wiring plug) take hte black with a white stripe in the smaller harness and connect it to the black ground wire from the Pioneer.

- now take and ground these 2 wires. the best way attach a wire to them, put a ring terminal on the other end, and screw it in to the factory radio mount. (when you screw in the radio). reason being is NISSAN DOES NOT HAVE A GROUND WIRE IN THE HARNESS. Factory nissan radios ground when you mount them. IF you look on the factory side of the harness, you will see the ground (black from aftermarkt harness) doesn't exist.

your popping noise should be solved by grounding that black with white stripe, the black from the radio, to a propper gound. it currently works because its pulling ground from the mount or the Antenna cable.

your volume issue should be solved for you can take the Speaker outputs (wires ) from the radio, into the converter and they will come out at 2-6volts, adjustable via the converter.

Connect it all, turn it on, turn it up, then adjust the converter up ro down until you get the volume desired.

At my shop we use the OEM-2, for it gives you speaker wire inputs, and outputs RCA, and speaker wire. That way you can choose which harness you want to use.

however the speaker wire output will yield a louder overall radio.

I think you currently have the harness that converts the Nissan plug, to RCA, and its plugged into the RCA on the pioneer, resulting in only a 2.5 volt input to your factory Blose. This lower voltage is why it doesnt seem so loud, and when you do turn it up, the distortion is there (as radio volume increases so does distortion... expotentially)

Good Luck

Wolfz23