AVIC411.com

3D Calibration...5700+ Miles and still counting

My AVIC Z1 with wire bypass updated to Z2 via software is still in the 3D Hybrid mode.

I have close to 5800 miles on it, bars are showing that it is almost done... but it has been like that forever.

VSS is connected and counting pulses.

Why would it take so long?

• 3 weeks later...

Mine says simple hybrid so I guess the VSS wire is not connected. I am missing out on anything important? I guess my question is, will I gain anything by haveing it hooked up?

In my experience it doesn't really matter, but for some, in some areas, it helps to have the VSS connected

If it will not effect anything I will leave it alone.

3D hybrid means it tracks you WITH 3 dimensions, not IN 3 dimensions. The GPS antenna alone is enough to determine your 3rd spacial dimension (altitude) but as it's a navigation unit, it's unnecessary and the feature is not included.

What is meant by three 3 dimension hybrid tracking is your position is tracked in 3 ways: GPS antenna, accelerometers, and distance tracking with VSS. If you're in Simple Hybrid, it just uses GPS antenna and accelerometers -- and like I've said before, this works fine for most people. It's only really necessary to use VSS if you're consistently off or not getting good GPS signal.

So don't worry about it if it's otherwise working fine. :)

and like I've said before, this works fine for most people. It's only really necessary to use VSS if you're consistently off or not getting good GPS signal.

Or if you're not happy with the smoothness of the mapscreen updates...

The mapscreen is updated much more smoothly if you have the Vss connected, as the screenupdates are much more frequent as with the GPS alone... Also turnoff instructions work better/more timely, also due to the more frequent updates...

The mapscreen is updated much more smoothly if you have the Vss connected, as the screenupdates are much more frequent as with the GPS alone...

Normally I'd just hold my tongue, but I don't want false information to spread. In my experience (having had both the VSS connected and the VSS not connected) the update speed is the same. The accelerometers determine whether or not you're accelerating, slowing, or cursing at the same speed even without the VSS. Off the top of my head, I'd say it updates 2 times a second regardless of VSS connected or not.

The mapscreen is updated much more smoothly if you have the Vss connected, as the screenupdates are much more frequent as with the GPS alone...

Normally I'd just hold my tongue, but I don't want false information to spread. In my experience (having had both the VSS connected and the VSS not connected) the update speed is the same. The accelerometers determine whether or not you're accelerating, slowing, or cursing at the same speed even without the VSS. Off the top of my head, I'd say it updates 2 times a second regardless of VSS connected or not.

Nope, GPS is updated only every few seconds, whereas Vss is an almost continous input...

(not wanting false information to spread :wink: )

edit: just checked the service manual, and the update rate for the GPS is once per second...

Nope, GPS is updated only every few seconds, whereas Vss is an almost continous input...

(not wanting false information to spread :wink: )

You're missing my point. The SCREEN is only updated a couple times a second -- that's the fastest the AVIC can process. So it doesn't matter if the VSS is connected in that sense. And since it works fine for me (doesn't miss turns etc) I don't need VSS. Others may if they're not getting as good a signal or if their "learning status" is not complete.

edit: Look, I'm not trying to pick a fight, and I know that everyone with VSS connected thinks they're better off than everyone without it connected. I just want it clear for teh record. I've had it both ways, in more than one car, and in my personal, imperial experience, it makes NO difference once calibration is complete. The accelerometers/gyroscopic sensors do a fine job and I get great signal.

• 3 months later...

I have two Z2's. I think it depends on where you live?

One using 3D-Hybrid, and the other using Simple Hybrid.

When I drive the hills in the Atlanta, GA area... It makes a big difference.

The vehicle with the 3D-Hybrid is always right on, and the pointer stays right on the highway, regardless of Overpass's, Tunnels, etc...

In Simple Hybrid, you can loose your tracking for an instance or when you make a turn, or go down into a hole.

Based on my experience, you are far better off with having the VSS connection if you can.

3D hybrid means it tracks you WITH 3 dimensions, not IN 3 dimensions. The GPS antenna alone is enough to determine your 3rd spacial dimension (altitude) but as it's a navigation unit, it's unnecessary and the feature is not included.

What is meant by three 3 dimension hybrid tracking is your position is tracked in 3 ways: GPS antenna, accelerometers, and distance tracking with VSS. If you're in Simple Hybrid, it just uses GPS antenna and accelerometers -- and like I've said before, this works fine for most people. It's only really necessary to use VSS if you're consistently off or not getting good GPS signal.