AVIC411.com

When will Blu-Ray come to Pioneer or other car players?

As I am soldering my wires for the D3 install and thinking of putting another unit in my wife's new truck, I am watching a blu-ray movie on the plasma. Then it hit me - why am I sinking a fair bit of money on an old DVD format when I am only buying new movies in blu-ray. I guess I could put a PS-3 into the Explorer and input the downconverted video into the D3.

Does anyone think that manufacturers will soon offer a high end player/Nav system with a blu-ray drive?

Probably not affordably for at least another year, maybe two. Think about how long after the debut of standard DVD format before it made it's way into the car stereo world.

Also, putting a PS3 in the car and routing the video to the D3 is pretty much a waste. The screen on the D3 isn't high def, and neither is the standard RCA video input. In fact, the vertical height of the screen is only 250, which is a little over half the resolution of a standard (non high def) screen which is 480 IIRC.

Basically, the D3 downgrades standard DVD's to play on it's screen, so going with a video source that's higher definition than a standard DVD is a waste.

Unless, of course, you can find a small enough high definition 720p/1080p screen...

Beyond what was already said with regard to screen resolution, and the lack of effective advantage in visible resolution on a 5.5 inch screen, I would add that I would hope they would not drive up the price of the unit to add such a useless feature that caters to such a small interest.

blue laser media has such a miniscule portion of the market share in DVD video sales, that it would be too far ahead of the the market curve to justify the cost increase.