AVIC411.com

Ok, so i talked to a best buy installer and circuit city installer and they both told me i would be dumb to mount my antenna inside my car, possibly under my dash. Why? I know how GPS works and the triangulation etc... but does it need true line of sight or will it work elsewhere. If anyone has a mustang, i have a 2003 gt, where should i mount mine, where did you mount yours?
Oh let me add another thing, today i went to a custom shop to buy a new capacitor, and i asked him the question about mounting the antenna inside. He said it would not work if you mounted it inside. I told him ive heard of alot of people doing this and he said he;s been in the business for 14 years and has never heard of it. I said "i bet it would work", he said " i bet you a pair of eclipse tweeters it doesn't work. I took the deal, but if it doesnt work, i have to ride around with his shop sticker across my front brow for a month! So guys please tell me im gonna win!
I placed my nav and xm antennas under the dash & they work fine. There is a plastic access panel on the top of my dash. I siliconed them to the bottom of it. The antennas will not work thru a metal dash panel. It also depends on where you place the antennas in relation to the windshield. I would get better reception on the roof but it has never been a problem. The xm buffer is usually big enough. My 2001 RX300 has the factory nav antenna under the dash. I hope this helps.
In many cars, the factory GPS antenna is in the dash, just under the upper dash pad.

Just make sure it is as level as possible and that no metal is above it.

In my truck, I put it inside the dash under the plastic dash pad near where the OEM GPS antenna would have gone (couldn't reach the exact location). It works perfectly, and worked perfectly pretty much everywhere in the US and Canada.

Try it and see, I bet you can get yourself a free pair of Eclipse tweeters.
I've had 4 different navis over the last couple of years in my Passat. All with the antenna under the dash and on top of a metal beam which most cars have in that area.
On my Z1 I can see that I receive ALL 9 Satellites (maximum displayed) which simply means it works as good as putting it on the roof.
Just make sure it is on a metal base and that there is no metal between the antenna and the sat.

Enjoy the Eclipse speakers!! :lol:
  • 2 weeks later...
I had the n-2 in my car. It got stolen though. My insurance is covering it and im getting the n-3 now. It's getting installed this wednesday. I would like to see if the installer will mount the GPS unit in the dash. Will it effect the siganl to anyones knowledge?

Thanks,
Mark .
If GPS antennas wont work inside your window, none of the handheld units would ever work in a car. It is a bunch of BS for them to collect more $$ and mount that ugly thing on your roof.

While I just got my Z1 (April build) today, I have used my Lowrance and my Magellan inside many cars.
[quote name="Dj Ynot"]I had the n-2 in my car. It got stolen though. My insurance is covering it and im getting the n-3 now. It's getting installed this wednesday. I would like to see if the installer will mount the GPS unit in the dash. Will it effect the siganl to anyones knowledge?

Thanks,
Mark .[/quote]
You already had the N2 stolen. Why advertise that you have Navigation in your car. The rooftop antenna does just that. :roll: