AVIC411.com

Is NavTraffic really worth it???

It seems like NavTraffic is a little slow when it comes to traffic incidents and updates. It would have been nice last night, that the system would of told me of the road closure of the helix coming out of the Lincoln Tunnel (NYC)......but it didn't and was stuck in the tunnel and battling through hoboken traffic... even after I got thru all that traffic, the traffic update never said a peep.

of course, it would have also been nice if the electronic road signs for the Lincoln Tunnel on the NYC side mentioned the road closure also...

isn't the point of getting NavTraffic was to avoid these situations? Especially on the major roads of the coverage areas?

I've had it for a few months now. Gotta say, it's neat, but not actually worth a dime.

So far, every accident it's wanted to route me around has already been cleared, the traffic speed info is unreliable, and it STILL shuts down after 30-60 minutes of driving on my Z2.

Still, I like knowing it's there, both for the "just in case" and the "wow" factors.

I think its worth it, I mean its about the same $ as one gallon of gas for one month of it. I pull up the list of accidents when I am on my way to/from work so I can choose which freeways to avoid. The traffic flow info does suck though. Nice to be able to check sports scores too, and it even tells you what channel the next couple baseball games will be on and what time

• 2 weeks later...

In the Houston market I've found it to be fairly reliable. The flow data is not always 100% accurate, but I'd say it's right about 75% of the time. Also, there is sooo much construction around here 24/7 it pays for itself re-routing around planned construction sites.

• 1 month later...
So far, every accident it's wanted to route me around has already been cleared, the traffic speed info is unreliable, and it STILL shuts down after 30-60 minutes of driving on my Z2.

Inferno999, could you please expand on the "shuts down after 30-60...." comment.

I use it and yes although sometimes it can be sketchy, I have found that it saves me a lot of time. I also check ahead of my route before I commute, and it helps. I've had my unit for over 2 years now and in the beginning I hated it. But I have noticed that they improved over the past 2 years, and as more cameras go up, they should continue to improve. But eventually with all the new technologies, even this will become obsolete.

I heard Sirius is coming out with their own traffic thing. But instead of traffic cams and reports alone, it also receives driver info. For instance if I'm stuck in traffic the satellite will be able to detect that and relay that info to other drivers with units, so they will have a more accurate and up to the minute info. Sound's great, but so did nav traffic when it first came out. We'll have to wait and see.

• 3 weeks later...

I recently added it.. I spend a lot of time on the road.. I will say in the few days I have had it.. I am impressed..

So far the speeds & incidents are pretty darm accurate. Plus I learned some short-cuts I didn't know existed.

If you select a new route it really trys to get you around the traffic on the freeway.