AVIC411.com

Dash Kit for Dodge Ram 2006.

I've done some searching and haven't really found what I'm looking for - so hope someone can help me with this.

I have a 2006 Dodge Ram (no nav/infinity system). I've done alot of research on here about people isntalling D3's in those trucks. I guess what I'm wondering is this-

1. I'm planning on purchasing the Dodge bezel that has the big hole for the OEM Dodge Nav unit. I'm looking for the best possible installation kit that would make this D3 look good in that opening size. From what I understand the radio is still smaller than the hole in that Dodge bezel and haven't been able to really find something that says it'll fill in those gaps.

2. Also..being that it's not a Infinity sound model - do I need this "can-bus" everyone is talking about? I'd love it if I can still use it to make my VSS/reverse connections easier but not sure it that's specifically for that Infinity stereo setup (or for all Rams in that year range).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I just had an N2 stolen from this truck and I really like that full in-dash look - so thanks to insurance I can afford to do it finally. If someone has done a similar install and even could point me to a website (or maker and part numbers) for the dash install kit and can-bus setup. Thanks again.

For the mount kit, Metra and American International both make a good quality kit. The Metra is a two piece, the AI is a one piece but the HU is kind of recessed. I prefer the 1 peice design but, after putting in the AI I swtiched back to the Metra cause I didnt like the recessed look of the AI.

As far as interfaces there are many on the market, but I used the PAC (www.pac-audio.com , you will need the c2r-chy), It was super simple to install and gives you everything you need right at the harness, and allows for intergration of steering wheel audio controls (if you have them) with no splicing of any wires, however you gotta buy a couple of other harnesses for that. Oh and the canbus system is used on all Dodges from (i think) '06 and up, so if you want the ill, vss, and such to work you need the adapter. Most also include and amp turn on for if you have the infinity system.

Here is a pic of the D3 in my new 08 Mega Cab with the Metra Kit

Hope this helps 8)

Sorry about the bad lighting in the pics.

post-16754-12872754130196_thumb.jpg

post-16754-12872754136574_thumb.jpg

No Problem.... If you need anything else just let me know, Im not as well versed as some of the guys around here, but I am pretty good with the Dodges, Ive got two of them (2008 and a 1990) and have an '03 and '06 so any questions just let me know. And btw if you have the factory Sirius and want to keep it let me the install is also easy, you can reuse the factory antenna and tap in the power and ground at the factory reciever location.

• 6 months later...

What are you using to support the radio in the back? I have the Scosche kit and it has two flimsy plastic clips that holds the front in but if the back of the radio falls down the front will not stay in. Currently I have cut a piece of wood and laid it in place but I would rather have something a little more secure especially if I were to get into a wreck.

Also, I have the factory Sirius, can I keep it or do I need to buy the Pioneer version?

The metra kit I used has two large plastic sides that you screw onto the HU. It has held up great and the radio does not move.

As for the Sirius you can use the factory antenna but must change the reciever box. The factory receiver is more than likely behind the glovebox on the left side. You can tap into the factory power and ground at those locations. You will have to get a Pioneer Sirius receiver such as the SIRPNR2 or the CDSB10. Either will give you the same display on a D3. Not sure about the other units.

here is a helpful link for dodge trucks.

www.dodge.com/bodybuilder

Full electrical schematics available with pics, pinouts etc. Has helped me a whole lot.