AVIC411.com

I have a 2007 Chevy Avalanche with the Metra Lan-02 for Bose adapter and Metra dash kit. Well, after like 4 hours of haggling the install... I finally have a rat nest of wires and the Z1 sitting on my console because I can't figure what's going on. I have the XM Nav Traffic and the Ipod II adapter.

1) I get sound from Ipod, CD when turning the key a step. As soon as I turn the key to acc power or if I start the truck - no audio! Everything looks like it's playing on the HU... but nothing from speakers, not even menu beeps. I have checked and rechecked the wires... and I can't find it! Any suggestions on what it may be?

2) Nav - I took the truck for a spin around the neighborhood (without audio, of course :( thinking the map would start moving, etc. In the corner it just says "updating" and nothing ever moves and shows me in once place the whole time, not in my city. Does this take a while for it to start working? I do have the GPS ant sitting on the very edge of my dash right at the glass (no tent down there). Is this ok?

3) I clamped the parking break wire to the blue parking break positive to make sure I have everything tested fine before I installed the ducatiboy mod that I have. There was a similar clamp included for like a speed sensor? or something... what the heck does this clamp to? I think it either uses the extra long pink or purple extra cable that Pio included... but I still cant get a clear understanding if it's required.

4) If you have the factory rear overhead DVD monitor - the connections to the HU are NOT, I repeat, NOT rca! It looks like I had a spare grey connector that is about the size of the AC connectors (with many wires) that will just hang there. So, there goes my wanting to use it as a second monitor :( Anyone know if they eventually come out with adapters for these or if I can find a pinout spec on this plug to cut and mod some RCA's to fit this?

5) My Onstar works and chimes as well (although they dont sound the best, need to adjust the metra). But, when I hit the onstar button it seems like the HU powers off instead of muting the sound. Is this functioning right? As soon as my onstar call ends, the HU comes back on (warning screen and all).

Thanks for any suggestions you can give... my dash looks like a rat nest atm. :)
I am totally lost with what you are trying to describe here. I wish I could help you because these things aren't that difficult to install if you have any experience with this sort of thing. My only suggestion at this point is if you are totally lost as to where you are with this, get some help from someone with experience or an installer...preferrably one with experience with your vehicle. You may be able to find an installer who will take a few bucks under the table and do it on his own time.
I too am confused like 03Aviator. But, I can tell you now that the Speed Sensor wire should be connected. You can utilze the Nav without the speed sensor connected but you will not have 3D capabilities. Locating the Speed Sensor in your car may require that you instill the services of an experienced installer. It sounds like from your description that you are a bit over your head with this install. I would agree with 03Aviator that these HUs are fairly easy to install if you know what you are doing. especially with all the available install kits. You can keep checking this forum for others that have a similar car like yours for more help and insight. Good luck.
Not to be taken the wrong way, but isn't what this category in this forum is for? I have been browsing these forums for many months since the Z1 was on my radar, and I have seen far worse posts. This went into the night and with a shop light, I didn't have the best light.

With that said, I was going to follow my steps this evening and recheck my wires and thought I would get some suggestions on my problems beforehand. Of course, if in the next few days if I don't make any progress, I will drop it off to a installer. But, for 300.00, I feel safe enough to attempt it myself.

I have never had anyone install a HU or amps/subs in any of my 5 vehicles I have had... so I guess I have had a little bit of experience with probably 10 HU's in my vehicles and friends. Forgive me if what you meant by not understanding what I was asking - was because of my rambling... I'm sorry for that and have cleaned up my post a bit. But not a single suggestion? I would hope that at least one of my concerns were clear.

This is a far different install and maybe I have bit off a little too much, but my concepts are solid. This Metra adapter in my mind is cumbersome and not efficient in colors/explaning. Not like the old days in my silverado, civic, prelude, etc when you get the models wiring harness, twist, crimp, tape, and install the required mounting kit.