AVIC411.com

Can I play a DVD in the rear while using navigation?

Hey All,

Considering the Avic D3 and can't find some info on a question I have. I really need the unit to be able to play a DVD to a rear flip down screen (for the kids) while I use the navigation option on the main screen. It is my understanding that you need the navigation disc in the drive in order to use it, rendering the DVD useless. Can you pop the navi disc in, load the maps and pop a DVD back in? Does the nav DVD need to be in at all times when using the nav function? Thanks in advance!

Thats not correct. You can certainly put your nav disk in, program in the route, let the D3 store it for a minute, eject it, put a movie in and send it to a rear screen(s) The navi will still work and you can view it by pressing the map button...unless you go very far off the route you have set, and then you will have to put the nav disk back in

What you won't be able to do, is listen to a different source while the movie is in there. You and your passengers are stuck listening to barney or whatever the kids are watching. If you want to listen to something else, step up to the N or Z series

When the movie is playing in the back, is the nav screen visible on the D3 or is the movie shown in the front too?

(Will my kids start yelling the minute I press "map" because all of a sudden barney is gone and they see a map on the rear screen instead ?)