AVIC411.com

Can't load custom background on AVIC-Z1

Posted this in the custom background section, but guess it couldn't hurt to post it here too...

Trying to load a custom picture on my brother's AVIC-Z1. I have read numerous posts online, and spoke to the Pioneer tech guys 4 times. Nothing seems to work.

The problem is that when you go to the display menu, the "import from disc" bar does not let you choose it.

I have tried burning discs a zillion ways. I have tried the following methods...

-making a "pictures" folder, and tried it lower case, capitol, and lower case with a capitol P. I also tried labeling the folder "BG" as I found on an old Pioneer help FAQ on their site.

-adding an EXTRA 100mb of unreadable data. I am using word, pdf and zip files to take up the space. I have tired putting this data IN the pictures folder, and tried putting it just on the disc seperate of the pictures folder.

-tried burning the disk with XP, and also on a 98 machine with an actual burner program.

-tried just putting a bunch of pictures only with no filler data, in and out of the pictures folder.

-using .jpeg only pictures, and less than the maximum size.

The parking brake wire is bypassed on this unit, you can do anything at any time you are driving. No parking brake error messages.

I noticed that when I put in a disk with the pictures folder, it recognizes the CD-ROM and says CD-ROM INSTALLED. When you don't use the pictures folder, it says UNREADABLE DISC.

I have read something about not using "compressed jpegs". I don't know what that is, maybe someone could help there?

I am pretty sure I have done everything right. It seems to ID the disc, but maybe doesn't recognize the pics? I am just not sure what else to do.

Any help would be appreciated!

• [*:q09hv5mz]JPEG compression is the setting it asks you while saving (1 - 12) smaller number = smaller filesize/more compression. I don't really think that's it though, as I've used 8 (the adopted web-standard) with no problem.

[*:q09hv5mz]You might be talking about Progressive Jpegs. In normal (baseline) JPG's, the pixels are in order - the image starts at the beginning of the file and ends at the end of the file. Progressive jpg's, on the other hand, load the image in waves, so to speak - enough information to load a very low quality version of the image is right in the beginning of the file, and as the stream is read, it continues to add to the quality pass after pass. You've probably seen this on well built websites back in the modem days, as it was done to help present an image even before the full jpg was done loading.

Anyway, don't use that. The Z1/2 doesn't like it. Most of the custom BG pics (all?) are in baseline format, not progressive.

[*:q09hv5mz]Try adhering to the 8.3 file format. No spaces. I know, it shouldn't be necessary... but just to rule it out.

[*:q09hv5mz]Are you closing / finalizing your disc?

[*:q09hv5mz]try limiting the number of pictures in the pictures folder to no more than 20

[*:q09hv5mz]and of course, no MP3's anywhere on the disc.

• [*:2s7y2hyb]JPEG compression is the setting it asks you while saving (1 - 12) smaller number = smaller filesize/more compression. I don't really think that's it though, as I've used 8 (the adopted web-standard) with no problem.

[*:2s7y2hyb]You might be talking about Progressive Jpegs. In normal (baseline) JPG's, the pixels are in order - the image starts at the beginning of the file and ends at the end of the file. Progressive jpg's, on the other hand, load the image in waves, so to speak - enough information to load a very low quality version of the image is right in the beginning of the file, and as the stream is read, it continues to add to the quality pass after pass. You've probably seen this on well built websites back in the modem days, as it was done to help present an image even before the full jpg was done loading.

Anyway, don't use that. The Z1/2 doesn't like it. Most of the custom BG pics (all?) are in baseline format, not progressive.

[*:2s7y2hyb]Try adhering to the 8.3 file format. No spaces. I know, it shouldn't be necessary... but just to rule it out.

[*:2s7y2hyb]Are you closing / finalizing your disc?

[*:2s7y2hyb]try limiting the number of pictures in the pictures folder to no more than 20

[*:2s7y2hyb]and of course, no MP3's anywhere on the disc.

How do I know if something is using those jpegs in a progressive state? I am just using pics taken off the internet and with my own camera, choosing them with the CD program, and burning them to CD.

What is the 8.3 format?

I only have about 6 pics in the folder.

The CD program shows it "closing CD" at the end of the burn, is that what you mean?

And no MP3s. I don't even own any.

How do I know if something is using those jpegs in a progressive state? I am just using pics taken off the internet and with my own camera, choosing them with the CD program, and burning them to CD.

Try using pics already formatted correctly from this site. If they work, and yours don't, you know it's your images.

What is the 8.3 format?
In this format, the filename has no more than 8 alpha-numeric characters and the extension has 3. For example: "filename.ext" is in 8.3 format whereas "my favorite's.jpgs" is not.

The CD program shows it "closing CD" at the end of the burn, is that what you mean?
Yeah, should be.

Ok, I downloaded that 05lenor pic from the background archive. It didn't work.

This is my current state....

CD-R disc, "pictures" folder, with 7 images in it including the 05lenor picture inside, along with an extra 116mb of data. That data is in zip, pdf, and word file formats.

That's how I have currently tried it this time. Is there a different method you'd suggest?

"Unreadable Disc" throws a flag for me....It is picky about how you burn these disc...I've had issues getting it to read my disc right as well, even though I had done it several times in the past...But never did it say unreadable disc...It would just sit there saying disc inserted....Have you tried a different brand of disc? If I remember correctly, the last time I got a good disc was on a Sony CD-R...

-Try Nero...burn as slow as possible...Mode 1...Finalize

-You can try my pictures folder as well...it's helped a couple of members in the past...so who knows

download:

http://flemdawg.com/Pictures/pictures.zip

"Unreadable Disc" throws a flag for me....It is picky about how you burn these disc...I've had issues getting it to read my disc right as well, even though I had done it several times in the past...But never did it say unreadable disc...It would just sit there saying disc inserted....Have you tried a different brand of disc? If I remember correctly, the last time I got a good disc was on a Sony CD-R...

-Try Nero...burn as slow as possible...Mode 1...Finalize

-You can try my pictures folder as well...it's helped a couple of members in the past...so who knows

download:

http://flemdawg.com/Pictures/pictures.zip

It only says "unreadable disc" if I don't label the folder "pictures". Otherwise it says "CD-ROM INSERTED".

I have tried Staples and Memorex CD-Rs.