AVIC411.com

New Z2 on the way, couple of quick questions

Hello-

I ordered an AVIC-Z2 to install in my 2004 Tacoma Dbl Cab, and I have a couple of questions that I haven't been able to find answers on.

Loading music on the drive: I was thinking about loading my music on the drive, as I have read that the iPod interface is kind of slow. Music collection is relatively small (about 2200 songs), so I was thinking about loading the music on the drive via CDs. Does the album art get displayed on the Z2 if you are playing music stored on the HDD?

GPS antenna mount: I've read a few installs where people put the antenna on the inside of the vehicle. I have also seen them install it on the outside. Any thoughts?

GPS Navigation: From reading info on this board, it looks like I will need to do the bluetooth update and the wire mod in order to get the navigation module to work while the vehicle is in motion. Is that correct?

Looking forward to receiving the unit and going through the install.

Thanks.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) i havent ever seen any album art :(

2) I mounted mine in the factory toyota location (inside the dash, totally hidden) and i get 100% of the satellites

3) depends on manufacture date, but i just did the 2 wire mod and thats all i needed, bluetooth update was already applied.

Abe

1) i havent ever seen any album art :(

2) I mounted mine in the factory toyota location (inside the dash, totally hidden) and i get 100% of the satellites

3) depends on manufacture date, but i just did the 2 wire mod and thats all i needed, bluetooth update was already applied.

Abe

Abe-

Thanks for the reply. If I understand #2, you mounted the GPS receiver in your dash? I have a hand held Garmin iQue 3600 and I lose reception unless the antenna is close to the window.

Two follow up questions: 1) What kind of vehicle do you have? 2) Can you be a little more specific on where you mounted the antenna?

Thanks

David

Hey David,

I have a 2008 4runner. If your car is similar, DIRECTLY behind where the avic mounts, youll see a little "shelf" where you can mount the gps antenna. Make sure that whatever you do, only the plastic of the dash is above the antenna, no metal.

This little shelf in my 4runner was the perfect spot to mount the little pad that the antenna sits on, and then stick the antenna on the pad. youll see what i mean.

But yes its 100% inside the dash, direclty in the center of the dash (where the center speaker is also) and it works at 90-100% strength. when i see other people with a avic in their 4runner and the antenna is mounted outside it makes me sad :( wasted effort!

Abe

Abe-

Thanks for the info. I was wondering if you were using the iPod interface, and if you could comment on the "speed" of the interface/graphics.

Also, from what I've been reading on the two wire mod, it sounds like if I do the mod, I will be able to use the GPS while the vehicle is in motion. Is this correct? Does that also apply to viewing DVDs?

Thanks, sorry for the noob questions.

David

as much as i like steve jobs for what he as accomplished, i refuse to buy into the ipod franchise!

i dont use ipods!! :) but yes, supposedly the interface is terribly slow.

The 2 wire mod will let you input destinations while moving and watch dvds. Its really just a 1 wire mod on a fresh install, you can just simply ground the parking brake wire coming out of the avic to the system ground wire on the same harness. then relocate the other wire and youre done!

if i could redo my installation, i would have put a switch on the CELL MUTE wire (instead of using that wire to do my 2wire mod, use a different wire). This is because the avic doesnt have a mute button and it would be nice to have a switch for mute (thats what switching the cell mute button does).

I used a PAC-SWIPS to retain my steering wheel buttons, and programmed a button on the steering wheel for ATT (kinda like a mute) so it works out for me i guess..

Abe

Abe

I hear ya on the ipod franchise. I've been assimilated, so I figured that I would try to find a head unit that had some sort of interface. I guess that I'll look at how long it would take me to load my music collection on CDs into the Z2 when I get it.

Thanks for the info on the two wire mod. I will take your advice, and see about putting a switch on the cell mute wire. I didn't know that the Z2 didn't come with a MUTE button....I kind of figured that would be a no-brainer.

I wish that my truck had the controls built into the steering wheel. I ended up ordering the Pioneer remote that mounts to the steering wheel (CD-SR1), so hopefully, that will work out.

David

Abe-

I forgot to ask...how has the GPS navigation been working? I have read a lot of posts here where people are complaining about POI, the unit not locating them correctly, etc. I was wondering what your experiences have been.

Do you have a back up camera connected to the unit? If so, your thoughts on that.

Thanks for the info.

David

I have found that the nav is only as smart as you are. its not as great as other navs ive used, but it has other strengths that make up the difference. i understand what its trying to do. Mainly ive seen that it makes every attempt to keep you on the MAIN road, even though taking the smaller roads would have been MUCH better. but i have learning mode on, and it seemed to learn my preferred route. other times, in los angeles anyway, it works just fine (picks the way i would assume makes sense).

others have much more dismal reviews of the nav...but in comparison, i think the kenwood nav looks like its designed for pre-schoolers so i dont like the way that works either!

i love my backup camera. its a little high on my 4runner, but for towing something behind, its great! i opted for the VLT400 from boyo...i did a write up on its install here a month or so ago!

Abe

Abe-

Thanks for your input. I've been reading some of the depressing reviews of the nav on the Z2, and I am becoming worried that it isn't what I thought it was going to be. I hope that things work out, and I am overall pleased with the functionality of the unit.

Thanks for the info on the camera. I ended up going with one that came as part of the package deal. (Pioneer ND-BC2). I checked for your write up of the VLT400, but didn't have any luck finding anything. I'll keep looking.

(Found the write up, but it's not on this forum.)

Thanks.

David

Install finished.

I was able to finish the install of the new Z2 over this weekend. The only thing that I need to do is install the iPod adapter as that was on back-order. I'm going to take that time to clean up my wiring, and take some pics of the "finished" product.

On a related note, one of the members mentioned putting a switch on the MUTE wire so that you would have a switch to enable/disable the muting function, since the HU didn't come with a dedicated MUTE switch. I picked up a switch, and wired it in. I attached the MUTE line to the LOAD side of the switch, and wired in EARTH and SUPPLY as appropriate. The switch seems to function okay (the light does come on), but the HU doesn't seem to recognize the signal, as the audio is not muted when the switch is enabled.

Any ideas?

Here are some pics

Shot of the switch

2004_dbl_cab-004.jpg

Shot of the switch wired in (yellow wire is going to the yellow/black wire on the HU)

2004_dbl_cab-005.jpg

I was going to mount the back up camera under the trailer hitch that I have, but I thought that it would be too easy for thieves to swipe. Instead, I plan on constructing a box to house the camera, then I will bolt that on the receiver to hopefully defeat the thieves.