AVIC411.com

Question when navigating through with the ipod interface.

The d3 is my first replacment car stereo that I have ever owned.. (i installed everything myself and now everything works! w00t w00t!)

I am still amazed at all the things this does... I am used to just a normal 6 disc in dash player and thought that was awesome!

Welp on my ipod I have probably 500 artists, then of course under the artist there are their albums..

When I push the "Artist" catorgory on the avic it goes to all the different artist in alphabetical order... that's fine if I am on A-D... once I chose an artist say that has the letter Y in their name in the beginning and chose to play their music if I want to go back when I click on Artist it goes back to the Letter A... is there any way that there is an easier way to navigate with out me having to scroll all the way back down to the Y's or below?

May seem a little trivial but when you have lots of artists it's just one of those little things I guess...

I know when you click the allbum if you don't like it you can click back and it takes you back to the artist that you chose and all their albums for you to chose another one and I kinda like that feature but hoped it would be the same if you wanted to change the artist...etc.

Thanks,

-Nigel

You can scroll in the opposite direction IIRC. When you're at the top of the artists list just hit up and it goes to the end of the list (I think)... Yeah, it's a pain in the ass if you've got a ton of artists... also, it helps to select a genre first to cull down the list of artists you need to look through.

Yeah, it's a pain. But that's how the ipod itself is set up as well... so I wouldn't expect it to be any different.

You could also make a playlist in itunes, one for each letter of the alphabet and put all the songs from the artists who's name starts with that letter and put them in the corresponding playlists...

You can hit the menu button on the ipod wheel graphic which brings you back one step. Then there is a back button which will bring you back to the artists where you left off.

Yep I tried hitting the menu button on the ipod interface on the d3 and it doesn't do anything.

The pause button/fast forward/reverse work...hmmm

-Nigel

The menu button will only bring you back to the menu you came from FOR THAT SESSION OF USE. Once you shut the car off and turn it back on, the ipod will still be where you left it off, but the memory for how it got there is gone, so the menu button doesn't know where to bring you when you hit it, and therefor does nothing.

Or you can do what I do... Set it to shuffle all, hide the interface, and just skip the songs you don't wanna hear with the side buttons.

If I actually used the menus to select certain artists or whatever... like 90% of my music library would go to waste.

Some other ideas i've seen are to create playlists that contain the artists of a particular letter range, OR even as detailed as 26 playlists for each letter.

I just get the hang of how many pages down the letters are and it seems to work, the other trick is to scroll UP from the top of the list to get a shortcut to Z and backwards, still makes going to the letter M or S hard ;) Maybe make a few playlists for the middle of the alphabet? ;)