AVIC411.com

HELP PLEASE! AVALANCHE 2005?

Hi all,

I have just purchased a 2005 Chevy Avalanche Lt Z71 with the bose system and Onstar!

I have an AvicZ1 unit which I removed from my trade in vehicle. I have the following questions?

1. Can this unit install with all functions working properly in this truck? (it has the Bose system)

2. Will the Onstar still work? I noticed with the factory radio that the Onstar is displayed on the radio screen when using the phone etc...

3. Will the stock chimes work? (Reverse sensors etc...)

4. Can I upgrade my Z1 to Z3 before re-installing the unit? (Does Pioneer offer this service? and how much do they charge?)

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated! :shock:

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. Yes

All you need for 1-3 to function the way you want is the proper harness. I would recommend the PAC OS2-Bose or the Peripheral GMAH-24B. (There the same with a different brand name)

I don't believe that pioneer offers a trade in service, but i am pretty sure that the Z1 and Z3 use the same harness.

There is lots of install info on the forum for your truck. Look for silverado, tahoe, yukon, avalanche, escalade, sierra etc... installs, as all those trucks have the same dash and wiring etc.

Thanks for your quick response!

I have checked out alot of posts but did not see anything for 2005's with enough descriptions on installation mentioning whether the vehicles had Bose systems. I also have found some posts in other forums which mention there may be a different connection if I have standard or premium Bose system? Is that true?

4. Also will the PAC OS2BOSE make my steering wheel controls work?

5. I guess I will lose the rear radio controls right?

6. What else do I need?

7. I think I will buy a hard drive that seems to be set-up for Z3 on Ebay, Is this OK! I assume I just have to remove the Z1 hard drive and just put the new one in and it will have all the features that the new z3 has? Maps and other tweaks I guess!

Thanks again for the prompt help!

Off topic but this is still tbaggott / PS. had to re-register, I checked my email in my old profile to make sure I would get a message when someone replied but it was wrong. I changed my email address but i can no longer sign into my old user and password profile. Sorry about that! :roll:

good luck with ur install. I am having a headache with my 03 escalade. The GMOS4 Wiring harness SUXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX. Low sound volume. I am doing away with onstar/chimes.ect. I am rewiring my entire truck this week. My whole truck is gutted. I will need to eat my whole precription of percocets to feel like doing the work. Im on the verge of just paying someone to deal with this......... :wink:

TB, I have an '05 Avalanche too. I haven't installed my Z2 yet, but here is a site that sells the harness to retain your steering wheel controls.

http://www.pac-audio.com/vag.html

Just search for the make and model of the vehicle then it will show you which module you'll need.

You'll need the "Pacific Accessory Corporation SWI-PS" for the steering wheel controls.

It looks like we need a few things from that company? You would think they could make one unit do it all?

Need the following I think?

1. SWI-PS - for steering wheel controls

2. CM-1 - for chimes

3. PAC OS2BOSE - for onstar

Am I missing anything?

Great site, I am going to be bugging you guys when my AVIC Z3 arrives.

To the OP (tbaggot) - good advice here, of course. For 1000's of guys installing the AVIC Ds and Zs in their Avalanches, I'd urge you to visit the Chevy Avalanche Fan Club forum, they have a pretty deep section on integration issues and have walked this path already (chimes, steering wheel controls, etc.), here is a direct link to that A/V section of the CAFC forum:

CAFC A/V Section

Look at the A/V Factory Integration sub-forum, also look at the A/V HUs, Nav & Video sub-forum in that same section.

• 2 weeks later...

I did not read all the responses you got about your initial questions. If you did get the answers you were looking for here is a piece of advise for the future. Go to www.crutchfield.com and click on what fits my vehicle. After you put in your vehicle information you can select the head unit you own and it will tell you what kits and harnesses are need to make it work in your truck.