AVIC411.com

Garmin C330 routed us via back roads/alleys

left my car home, rode with a buddy.

we used a Garmin C330 from Raliegh to Athens NY to Savona NY thru PA, VA, and back to Raliegh.

it was ignorant.

it had us on roads there were not even striped/painted

it had us get OFF the main road (501 south in VA) and take back roads across town, to get BACK on 501 south on the other end of town.

i would NOT get one based on that unit's performance.

everyone raves about Garmin though, so my buddy is going to try a update on his via the internet. it's 3 years old, and it was total crap.

you could SEE where you SHOULD go, and it would tell you to turn a different way.

I don't think it was because the unit's navigation was bad. Garmin's nav units have just about the best performance of any brand on the market. Most likely what had happened was it was set up find the shortest route rather than fastest route. Also it might benefit from a database update if it's 3 years old.

that makes sense, but it did it several times, over the course of 4 days.

and i think he changed it a few times.

maybe he needs to work on his settings.

i told him to set it to "Tractor Trailer" and that would keep him out of the National Forest roads.

we had a 7000lb Duramax pickup and a 19 foot inboard/outboard boat, but it was ok, just a little TOO scenic and rustic.