AVIC411.com

need install HELP for 2006 Camry

can you try this harness and see if that solves your problem? You can always return at bestbuy or cc if it doesnt work..

http://www.metraonline.com/products.aspx?s=TYTO01

I actually did try that one over the weekend along with the Scosche TA07SR harness, both were made for the 2007+ Camry and when I tried it I got no buzz, but also no sound at all. Those are the harnesses made to work with the newer JBL amps with the digital interface

Do you know if it works with 2007 Hybrid Highlander with prem jbl sound? Where do you find if mine has digital interface?

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am doing this now....I am buying 70-8116 Metra harness as suggestd by Metra and bypassing the JBL amp. This harness has power wires which can directly connect to the JBL speakers ..No RCA connection involved here and this should solve the noise problem...... Though Metra suggested I buy a 5 channel amp and use it , I dont have any more money to spend for next 3-5 months on this...I will settle for this setup for now and in 6 months will upgrade if I am not happy..

This is the last email from an expert in Metra..

------------------------

Replace the existing harness for a 70-8116. That is a amp bypass

harness for the factory system. I would go with a five channel amp and

have four channels power the highs, and a fifth for a sub that you will

install now, or later. The speakers you can possibly keep for a bit, but

you will want to change them soon.

Any good amp should have four gauge power wire inputs. If so, use

our AMP04BL amp power kit, along with V104-17 four channel rca, V10-17

two channel rca, and a X15WSW12-KT speaker wire kit for the subwoofer.

With the Pioneer radio giving you front, rear, and sub controls, you

should have total noise free control of the system, and you should be

very happy. I did not recommend any products as that is your decision.

You can e-mail me back and I will give you my unbiased opinion if you

like. Circuit City should have plenty of products to demo. If not, try

Crutchfield or Best Buy. Keep in mind that only Circuit City or

Crutchfield can special order products from us.

-------------------------

i'm almost to that extent myself, bypassing the amp altogether but that's really alot more than i bargained for. i'm sure you feel the same way.

there's a guy i work with who used to be a custom installer and says he has a couple ideas like trying to put a diode in between the rca's and ground to stop the negative feedback - IF that's what it is. if we're not able to get this issue resolved this week them i'm going wave the white flag and take it into a stereo install shop and let them fight with it.

i'll keep you tuned in if we find anything out this week. he's bringing an entry level pioneer cd player with preouts tomorrow and we're going to try that and see what happens also just to make sure it's not a bad avic-d3 which is unlikely but we'd at least like to rule that out as a possibility.

i just noticed that 70-8116 bypass harness only goes up to 2003/2004 and doesn't list the Highlander at all. will that harness work with our cars?

yes per Metra. The expert from Metra himself suggested that . It was the same case with bha-8113 which I have now. The package says all Toyota models till 2004 on it but it worked on my 2007 Highlander as well...

still no luck so far, a co-worker is letting me borrow a known-good pioneer head unit that i'm going to try - see if it gets the same buzzing sound or not

if i still get the buzzing sound then i already made an appointment for Saturday morning to take the car into a custom car stereo shop for troubleshooting and see what they see

i'll keep you guys advised on what goes down

still no luck so far, a co-worker is letting me borrow a known-good pioneer head unit that i'm going to try - see if it gets the same buzzing sound or not

if i still get the buzzing sound then i already made an appointment for Saturday morning to take the car into a custom car stereo shop for troubleshooting and see what they see

i'll keep you guys advised on what goes down

Thanks for update...I ordered the Metra Model # 70-8116 amp bypass harness..waiting for it now..

it's working great now and with no ground loop isolators or amp bypass needed! i took it to the local custom stereo shop and they said it was 2 problems:

1) The RCA's are unshielded and needed a ground, so they ran a ground wire from the back of the head unit to the chassis of the car. since the RCA's needed an extra ground of their own and since they didn't have one it created a ground loop, this extra ground took care of it for the most part - but there was a 2nd problem too

2) The 2nd problem was electrical interference, once the extra ground was added it sounded MUCH better but was still subject to some electrical interference just like when I tried the ground loop isolators. this is because the RCA's are unshielded (I'm assuming they're talking about either just the metra's RCA's or both - the metra and the pioneer). So I basically had to just wave the RCA's around until I found a little spot where there was no interference they I placed them permanently there.

so i after i got it back from them i took the head unit back out to see what they did and take pics for you to see. it only cost me $30 because i brought the car to them with the head unit already installed and the dash already out. so they charged me a $25 initial troubleshooting fee then like an extra $5 for tax and the ground wire. perhaps if you take the pics to a competent local car audio shop near you they can pull it off for you too. granted the pic of where they grounded it won't help since you're in a Highlander and not a Camry but the concepts should still be the same since we have the same type of equipment and problem

they ran an extra ground wire from the back of the head unit (because the RCA's themselves needed an extra ground)

IMG00027.jpg

they grounded the other end to the chassis of the car (notice the black and yellow in the picture)

IMG00026.jpg

picture of the finished install!

IMG00028.jpg

congrats camry !! GUess what I received my amp bypass kit today in mail..I have called the craigslist guy to install it tomorrow ..but now I will take printout of what you have mentioned and show it to him...lets see what he says...If he has any questions can he call you ? I will private message you my cellphone no and if you can pass me yours that would be great !!

Thanks

2006Camry

ok so the CL guy came and he read somewhere about the pin 10 to be grounded ( on the factory harness)...he checked and found that it was grounded properly..Then there was another black wire near it and when he grounded it the noise when I start the car went away....Mine is a hybrid so when the car starts it starts on battery only..after a few seconds the engine starts and then I heard the noise from speakers..not too bad...but I am 100% sure ( and so is he ) that its the interference due to RCA inteference...He did not spend time adjusting the rca cables but I was so fed up with whole thing I said its much better now and we can take a look at the interference some other time...

thanks for all tips...appreciate it

glad there was some progress made. my situation went almost exactly like yours (except the RCA interference came immediately b/c mine's not a hybrid).

the custom shop said our RCA's are unshielded so they are apt to interference. once my extra ground was made it sounded 10x better but I could hear interference. so in my case i was dealing with a ground loop and interference. while the car and radio was on i just spent some time moving the RCA's around until I found a spot behind the dash where the interference went away and permanently mounted them there. if you're not lucky enough to find a spot where there's no interference then is there a way that you could shield those RCA's to resolve the problem? I've heard several layers of aluminum foil tape might do the trick but that might be a stretch. You're close to getting it working but if you do decide to say f**k it and just bypass the amp be sure not to cut anything to void your warranty! That means you'll have to run new speaker wires though... :?