AVIC411.com

need install HELP for 2006 Camry

one of my friends recommended a new idea, he said the voltage being greater from the head unit going to the lower voltage factory amp might be causing an issue. and that made me think about how some factory amps operate at 2 ohms. could either one of those play a part in the problem?

if so, should i try a voltage reducer or something of that nature?

just grabbing for ideas at this point...

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

one of my friends recommended a new idea, he said the voltage being greater from the head unit going to the lower voltage factory amp might be causing an issue. and that made me think about how some factory amps operate at 2 ohms. could either one of those play a part in the problem?

i read that too on some boards...I am not tech savvy so I wont be able to test that...I read that voltage regulator might solve this issue but I have no idea how should i go about..Just getting someone from craigslist to try this and I will be poorer by $50...have not much money now..already spend $130 on install to get it this far... but deep inside i think the voltage might be the cause..since in my case the noise increases when i turn on the headlights....Turning on the headlights causes the avic screen intensity to go down which in turn means that the voltage is now driven somewhere else and thats causing an increase in noise...let me know how it goes..i wil be interested to know..

ok so i've verified i do indeed have a factory amp, i found a picture of a toyota jbl amp online from a toyota avalon, mine looks EXACTLY like this

http://drri.home.comcast.net/~drri/avalon/amp.jpg

I have to wait till Tue to call Metra to make sure my harness works with JBL premium system. In meantime have you gone to Best Buy or Circuit City to get it checked? Let me know what happens...I will do the same tuesday....frustrated with this crap..

now keep in mind Toyota changed over to a digital JBL amp (different model Toyota vehicles did it in different years) I know in the Camry the digital JBL amp started in 2007, so my 2006 Camry is using the analogue amp I believe. The wire harness for the digital amp interface is closer to the $100 price range whereas the Toyotas with the analogue JBL amp are closer to a $20 price range. The $100 ones come with a little brain, or box, that is the digital interface but that's only if your Toyota has the digital JBL amp

Hmmm I am using the cheap $20 harness ..Mine is a 2007 Highlander and I will check with Toyota to see if it has digital amps on tuesday..

some more detail..I just drove a few miles and tried changing the intensity of dash lights...Remember i mentioned that the noise becomes more steady when i turn on headlights...so i turned on headlights and realised that the dash illumination was very dim. So i increased the brightness to maximum..Guess what the loud stead noise went away and now all that remained was the crackling noise which i have when I do not have the headlights on. ...all this makes me this its a voltage issue...increasing the brightness drives power to that away from the amps and other electrical devices....just my guess...

one of the posters on other forum used the same harness with his 2007 hybrid highlander with JBL premium sound and made it work. He noted in this in his comments..

----------------------------------

Turns out the factory harness has a amp turn on and two grounds and all three had to be connected before the amp would actually power on from the head-units amp remote wire.

----------------------------------

Have you checked your factory harness and done the same? Maybe one of the 3 wires is not connected and thats causing the noise ..

ive noticed this with a lot of toyotas and lexus where we use the 20 dollar analog toyota amp harness. engine noise like crazy. the d3 only has like 2 to 2.5 volt preouts...pretty low actually. most high end head units have at least 4 volt preouts to increase signal strength and also cut down on noise. i did this once on an 06 tundra with the jbl......i used the integrator and instead of using the rcas out of the headunit, i used a premium amp interface that connected the speaker leads from the head unit and converted them to rcas. basically a 4 channel line out converter. on it, there were 4 adjustment screws that increased or decreased the preout voltage....i just adjusted it until the sound went away.

ive noticed this with a lot of toyotas and lexus where we use the 20 dollar analog toyota amp harness. engine noise like crazy. the d3 only has like 2 to 2.5 volt preouts...pretty low actually. most high end head units have at least 4 volt preouts to increase signal strength and also cut down on noise. i did this once on an 06 tundra with the jbl......i used the integrator and instead of using the rcas out of the headunit, i used a premium amp interface that connected the speaker leads from the head unit and converted them to rcas. basically a 4 channel line out converter. on it, there were 4 adjustment screws that increased or decreased the preout voltage....i just adjusted it until the sound went away.

so you're saying get 2 line out converters (to cover all 4 channels) and use the speaker wires from the pioneer's harness to convert to RCA going to the metra wire harness i bought? By doing that aren't you adding the pioneer's built-in 50x4 watt amp in addition to still going through the factory amp? Is that a good thing?

I emailed Metra and they emailed back asking these questions. I cant answer as the guy who installed can come in evening only..

Do you want to check them?

1) Does the noise go away when you unplug all four rca's?

2) Where do you have the black/white wires going?

Yes

The black/white and white/black speaker wires from the Pioneer harness? They're capped off and not going anywhere. I'm using the RCA's from the Pioneer's RCA/amp harness and not using any of the actual speaker wires from the Pioneer harness. The only way to use the actual speaker wires would be to get 2 x line out converters and convert the Pioneer's speaker wires to RCA instead of using the provided RCA's on the Pioneer RCA/amp harness.

Yes

The black/white and white/black speaker wires from the Pioneer harness? They're capped off and not going anywhere. I'm using the RCA's from the Pioneer's RCA/amp harness and not using any of the actual speaker wires from the Pioneer harness. The only way to use the actual speaker wires would be to get 2 x line out converters and convert the Pioneer's speaker wires to RCA instead of using the provided RCA's on the Pioneer RCA/amp harness.

Thanks..I will check with Metra on these... I called circuit city and the bastards want to charge $45 per 30 mins and 1 hr minimum just to check this !! WTF !!

Metra wants to know about the black/white wires on the BHA8113 and not on pioneer harness..

For the 2006 Camry w/ JBL I'm actually using the metra 70-8113 harness. the black ground wire on the 70-8113 was grounded to the vehicles chassis along with the black ground wire from the pioneer's harness. since then i've connected the black ground from the 70-8113 and the black ground from the pioneer together so that it would just ground to wherever the factory radio originally did in hopes that would take care of it. and i actually don't have a white wire but there is a white rca and a black rca on the metra harness which I've connected to the rca's from the pioneer's rca/amp harness

can you try this harness and see if that solves your problem? You can always return at bestbuy or cc if it doesnt work..

http://www.metraonline.com/products.aspx?s=TYTO01

I actually did try that one over the weekend along with the Scosche TA07SR harness, both were made for the 2007+ Camry and when I tried it I got no buzz, but also no sound at all. Those are the harnesses made to work with the newer JBL amps with the digital interface