AVIC411.com

Z1 in Silverado HD Installed w/pics

[quote name="ufd108"]Or you could remove the factory XM and place the Pioneer one right there. Then you only need a 2-1 connector adapter, which I believe is fairly cheap (trying calling XM and they might send you one for free to keep your service).[/quote]

Actually you wouldn't even need that. The dual connector can be taken apart easily. I mounted my Sirius box where the GM XM box went. Took the dual adapter apart and just plugged in the satellite connection.
  • 2 weeks later...
looks good. i have too been told that it wouldnt work in my 02 suburban but it looks like your dash is about the same. crutchfield site said it wouldnt work so i'm not sure. and i havent found anything on this site to verify it. anyone know what the deal is? i have Onstar (dont use it) and a good factory system but i dont think its a bose.

thx!
[quote name="fastbagz"]looks good. i have too been told that it wouldnt work in my 02 suburban but it looks like your dash is about the same. crutchfield site said it wouldnt work so i'm not sure. and i havent found anything on this site to verify it. anyone know what the deal is? i have Onstar (dont use it) and a good factory system but i dont think its a bose.

thx![/quote]

It's not the same. GM changed their stereo opening in 03 from 1.5 din to double din. It put mine in a 01 Silverado so it can be done, but you must have a lot of time and patience to do it. I have not posted anything regarding the install yet as I still have to touch up the dash bezel from where some paint got under the masking tape. If you want more information, PM me and I'll give you what I know.
Now, that's what I'm talkin about, good job. I'm presently debating to stay w/Magellan 800/ Factory XM in My 3500HD or hit the big time with the Z1. Reading your posts are leading me down the Z1 path. A note on the satelite antennas. IF you have the roof marker lights (long 1 in the middle) there is plenty of room in there for a GPS antenna, and you will get max reception. XM or Sirius for max reception should still be roof mounted w/ no obstructions.
[quote name="ralphhood3"]The XM antenna won't work under the dash. [/quote]

Yes it will. I have put it under the dash on three different vehicles and all have had excellent reception. The secret it to make sure it's under the windshield, has no metal above it, and is mounted to a good metal surface. If need be, cut a piece of thin sheet metal to stick it to. You can Velcro or use RTV sealant to stick the metal to whatever surface you use.
[quote name="ralphhood3"]The XM antenna won't work under the dash. [/quote]

Yes it will. I have put it under the dash on three different vehicles and all have had excellent reception. The secret it to make sure it's under the windshield, has no metal above it, and is mounted to a good metal surface. If need be, cut a piece of thin sheet metal to stick it to. You can Velcro or use RTV sealant to stick the metal to whatever surface you use.