AVIC411.com

D2 vs D3 (Need help deciding)

Pioneer AVIC-D3:

Price: $700 new from Best Buy (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp ... 9512508513). It might go down to $500-$600 soon?

Pros: Newer, so hopefully more updated maps? Plays DVDs (but needs to be hacked so you can watch movies while driving). Audio jack on the unit unlike the D2.

Cons: Need to load GPS DVD into unit to calculate routes. Now what you can do, is load the GPS DVD in, set the route, and then put your MP3 CD in. However, if you decide to take a detour and need directions, you need to put the GPS DVD back in. From what I understand, it will recalculate without the GPS DVD if you go off course a little bit.

Pioneer AVIC-D2:

Price: $550 refurbished from HookedOnTronics (http://www.hookedontronics.com/show_pro ... er_AVIC-D2)

Pros: DVD drive and CD drive, so you can leave the GPS DVD in the unit and listen to MP3 CDs.

Cons: Volume control uses buttons instead of a tuning knob. Can't play DVD movies. Update from 2006 Maps to 2007 Maps costs $250. Is there a big difference from the update? I don't know.

Pros of Both: Built in gauge cluster can show voltage, acceleration, side acceleration, angular velocity, slope, direction, or clock (Pick 3). That's one of the main reasons I want this system. You can also customize the background pictures.

Cons of Both: 2D GPS maps? My $200 portable Magellan GPS looks better than this. And I'm going to be replacing the Magellan with this? On the other hand...a basic double din Pioneer multimedia head unit + windshield mounted GPS just doesn't look right. Video capability is kinda dumb since the head unit sits so low in our car. Just try staring at your headunit for 2 hours while the car is moving.

This is what I'm coming from:

n5703398_37292878_701.jpg

n5703398_38860318_1485.jpg

Questions:

1) Cheapest price you can get the D2. Cheapest price you can get the D3.

2) What am I going to need to get besides the unit (assuming it's a new unopened box)? Mounting kit, dash trim, harness kits?

3) I know most of you will say get the F series, or the D3, but I drive a 2 seater convertible with room for only 2 Infinity Reference speakers. The whole Audio/Visual thing isn't on the top of my list. If it sounds better than stock, that's good enough for me. Is there significant reason to get the D3 over the D2?

Well, if I were you I'd get the D3. The reason for me is pretty simple. The D3 does what the D2 does and more. Yes it's $150 more, but you get the newer maps, which themselves end up making it a better value and you get to save $100, assuming you do indeed get the new maps if you buy the D2.

Do you have an ipod or bluetooth phone? If you answered yes to either, get the D3. The D2 is a dinosaur

If I were in your shoes, I really would just wait a month and get the F-series. Solves the problem of taking the map disk in and out, has newer mapping than both the models you are talking about, cooler looking menus, better bluetooth, better ipod, USB built-in, SD card slot, etc. Price won't be that much different than what you would be paying for the D3 if you shop around

Seeing how the head unit will sit in your car, the D2 may be the better option due to it's tilting motorized display.

However features do play a role. D2 does not support BT and has poor ipod information display. The sirius interface also isn't the best.