AVIC411.com

Best Buy Online - Lousy Price Match policy

Only a douchebag would attempt to return a used unit and pass it off as new.

not really guy, because even tho its "new", its still opened. and best buy doesnt put open items back on the shelves so really he'd be sticking it to the company who he feels stuck it to him. take your retarded comments somewhere else

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the comments guys. In the end we all get what's coming to us. When I was growing up it was called "what goes around, comes around". These days I believe it's called "karma". Regardless, they are entitled to their own sale/pricing policy. Likewise, I'm entitled to shop where I feel good about it. In the meanwhile, I'm enjoying the unit and they lost a customer that's been profitable for them for several years. I still came out ahead.

Darryl

not really guy, because even tho its "new", its still opened. and best buy doesnt put open items back on the shelves so really he'd be sticking it to the company who he feels stuck it to him. take your retarded comments somewhere else

No.

If he were to HONESTLY return it to them, he wouldn't get all his money back because they would charge a restocking fee because the item was open, and in turn, somebody else would get a deal by being able to buy it as an open box item.

By attempting to pass the unit off as unused/uninstalled/unopened to receive a full refund, he's not "sticking it" to the store one bit. Because they would simply return it to the shelves to sell at full price, where some unknowing consumer would be getting the shaft by paying full price for an item that he believes to be new but it isn't.

No.

If he were to HONESTLY return it to them, he wouldn't get all his money back because they would charge a restocking fee because the item was open, and in turn, somebody else would get a deal by being able to buy it as an open box item.

By attempting to pass the unit off as unused/uninstalled/unopened to receive a full refund, he's not "sticking it" to the store one bit. Because they would simply return it to the shelves to sell at full price, where some unknowing consumer would be getting the shaft by paying full price for an item that he believes to be new but it isn't.

youre right about that IF they marked it as unopened. but his was opened.

i remember seeing a best buy commercial a while back, and basically what took place was a couple came back from a vacation to find that their dog bought numerous pet dvds (lady and the tramp, homeward bound, etc) and best buy took them back, opened, no problem.

saying that theyd put an opened d3 right bak on the shelves is like saying theyd put an opened dvd back. it would go back to where they got it, or if they have a clearence shelf of some sort, itd go there. and maybe your right about the restocking fee, ill admit i didnt know they had a fee like that, but point being, an innocent unknowing customer wouldnt end up with his.

OK. Well I was under the impression you were telling him to try and get a full refund by trying to pass it off as an unopened item because of this:

maybe you can package everything bak up , make it look unused, trim the wires and shit to look unused, and if they take it back, go to CC , buy the d3 and u get ur $100
And yeah, it would go right back on the shelf. I've known a few people who worked at a best Buy, and that's just what they do. If the item is unopened, they re-enter it in stock and put it back on the shelf. If it's opened, they inspect to see what's missing and all, repackage it, and sell it as a discounted open item.

But if you're only suggesting now he just take it back to return it as is he won't get a full refund, the honest way, he'd be charged a restocking fee, because the store wouldn't be able to sell the opened item at full price.

From Best Buy's website:

Restocking fee

A restocking fee of 15% will be charged on opened notebook computers, projectors, camcorders, digital cameras, radar detectors, GPS/navigation and in-car video systems unless defective or prohibited by law. A restocking fee of 25% will be charged on Special Order Products, including appliances unless defective or prohibited by law.

But the question there is, how much is that restocking fee? 15% of $699 is $104.85. Which would make returning it to buy it for $100 cheaper somewhere else a loss of $4.85 plus the time it takes to uninstall the first unit and install the second one.
It's kinda your fault for assuming that they did, really. I don't think I've ever heard mention of Best Buy advertising or promoting any sort of price matching policy ever.

Well, they have one as do most retailers. After this happend, I did a web search on their price match complaints and discovered a huge number of complaints. Interestingly, they will price match competitors before you buy, but not after (for online purchases). I will lose $100 on this, but they will untimately be the looser. My yearly purchases from them are typically $3K or so. It will go elsewhere now.

Darryl

3k? u are a drop in the bucket for BB. Have u seen their stock compared to CC? They have a price match policy but there are stipulations just like the policies everywhere else. If u do a web search for the same problem at any other major retailer u will find similar results.

yes they do, its called an "open item".

yes they do, its called an "open item".

yes. in an open item section. so the consumer is aware that it is not brand new....for them to sell an opened item like that as if its never been touched is fraudelent and false advertising nand if the consumer found out he bought a used deck for the same price as the new, probably, in todays world, thered be a big lawsuit. i mean if some lady can sue mcdonalds because she spilled a coffee on herself, imagine what you can do if you were sold a used d3 :lol:

Um.. I don't think he's saying to actit was never opened.

Best Buy will take car audio equipment back within 30 days of purchase and give you a full refund as long as all the parts and documentation (manuals) are there. Portable GPS units have a 15% restocking fee on them to keep people from "renting" the units for a trip or something. The D3 is considered a headunit though so if you'll be able to get the full price back provided you still have the receipt.

They actually said I could return it, but with a 15% restock fee. I'm not going to return it though. They are very hard to come by at the present time (end of year model) and I'm moving on. The only reason I bought it from them in the first place was they had stock and Circuit City did not. Circuit City may be no better --- I haven't checked their price match policy. At least these two stores discount from list, something none of the radio shops I called would do. I'm not very in-tune to the business model of the privately owned radio shops, but I was surprised that none of the 3 I called would discount the product from list.

Darryl

Well that's sure what it sounded like to me...

maybe you can package everything bak up , make it look unused, trim the wires and shit to look unused, and if they take it back, go to CC , buy the d3 and u get ur $100

Well that's sure what it sounded like to me...

no thats exactly what i meant, but i didnt mean so that they put it bak on the shelves, i meant so theres no chance they can refuse to take it bak. yes it would be a dick move to put it on an unknowing customer like that but i have had problems with circuit city and opened items not bein refunded so i threw that out there to avoid that conflict

And---- BB is not an authorized Pioneer reseller so you shafted on your factory waranty as well....

If you go to Pioneer's web site here:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/ ... e+Internet

Best Buy is shown as an authorized reseller.

BEST BUY,, Got it... I was Thinking BB Online.. DA,, My Brain Fart.

WOW, I cant believe Best Buy does not price match, or allow return within 30 days. Good to know.

I bought my new Z3 (still waiting) from JR Electronics. So far so good. We will see what gets delievered.

Sorry,, My Bad