AVIC411.com

D1 and D2 with the same problem

My wife’s car has a D2 in it as a warrantee replacement for a D1 that failed after 4 months. Now the D2 is starting to have the same symptoms, help if you can.

Both of these D’s maps started to freeze and it didn’t seem to matter if I had a route mapped or not. It would/will usually come back after a minute or two of driving but it got progressively worse in the D1 over a month or so. It would give what seemed to be random error messages “Insert navigation disc”, “Check emergency brake”, “No antenna found” and such. I just got my first odd error message on the D2 yesterday, “No traffic information available on route” but I didn’t have a route plotted. I still have a couple months on my warrantee but I would rather figure out why this is happening then keep replacing it. I have done no hacks, it has TrafficNav, was professionally installed and is in a ’02 Passat, if that helps.
[quote name="jimmy303"]What kind of car is this in? Is there any possibility of water or condensation getting into the unit from the A/C?[/quote]
[color=darkblue][i]I have done no hacks, it has TrafficNav, was professionally installed and is in a ’02 Passat, if that helps.[/i][/color]

There are no other symptoms of water in the car such as wet carpet or condensation when the car is left in a parking lot on a hot day. The only atmospheric thing I can come up with is it's a double black car and gets very hot in there. I'm sure there are many black vehicles out there not having these problems though. It's a good thought though, I'll take a closer look below the receiver to see there there are any water spots before I pull it out.
Could it be heat?
With these record high temperatures, the AVIC gets very, very hot.
I pulled out my AVIC this weekend to do some experimenting. Oh man, it was SOOOOOO HOT!!! I even had a sunshade in and back 3 windows are tinted! It was so hot, I almost dropped it. It was burning! My hands were red and raw the rest of the day. I had to carry it in a rag, it was that hot.
Just got back from my local Pioneer dealer and asked the guys there what they thought of this problem and what we needed to do to resolve. They called the local rep and he said they have had a few DVD's warp on them this summer and has caused an odd assortment of problems. They didn't have any replacement discs there but one of the guys (who was off today) has a D2 in his personal car and we're going to try popping his disc in. I'm not confident this is going to take care of it but need to try everything I guess. I timed my pauses today on my way in and the worst was 2.5 minutes.