AVIC411.com

Old HD question, with a new twist

Whats up yall new user, first time poster. ive already searched the fourm for a related threads and found a few similar topics, but they didnt answer my question. can you hook up an external HD to a D3 and store your map information on it so you dont need to use the DVDs? personaly i would love to be able to install a nice 250gig HD to store a bunch of music and movies and run the maps off of it. can any of this be done?

100% not possible. The D3 will only look to it's DVD drive for nav info and nowhere else. Buy a 5th gen ipod and put all your movies and music on there, and leave your nav disk in the D3's disk drive, and all your problems are solved.

Ah, i see. well, on second thought, if i had a HD i really wouldnt need to use the dvd player for much. but, now there are more questions.

insted of having to buy an 160 gig ipod for 400 bucks, i can get a 1TB external for like 300ish. can you hook up a HD with movies and music on it and run through it like the ipod?

Could you hook a laptop up to the D3?

Can you hook up things like PSPs and or thoes tiny PS2 or maybe even a 360?

and, if the D3 cant do this, do yall know for a Nav system that can?

insted of having to buy an 160 gig ipod for 400 bucks, i can get a 1TB external for like 300ish. can you hook up a HD with movies and music on it and run through it like the ipod?

You can hook up a USB hard drive to the D3 using Pioneer's CD-UB100 USB interface (http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Products/CarAudioVideo/Accessories/Audio+Components/CD-UB100)... But the interface for the device is so outrageously terrible it's just not worth using, especially because it costs over $100. Also, you can get a 160 gig ipod for under $200 if you know where to look.

Could you hook a laptop up to the D3?

Can you hook up things like PSPs and or thoes tiny PS2 or maybe even a 360?

You can hook up any of those things through one of the AV inputs. If a device has an audio or video output, you can connect it to the D3.

Whoops my bad. I was thinking of one of the old 80 gig 5th gen ipods because you can use them to play video. You can get them refurbished from apple (on occasion) or on ebay for pretty cheap.

The new 80GB and 160GB ipod classics won't play video over the D3's ipod interface, you would have to also buy Apple's $50 AV cable and run the ipod to the D3's rear AV input and control everything from the ipod instead of the D3.

ahhh, well how do you know if its a 5th gen ipod, because i have a friend with an old 80 gig ipod video that dosent hold a charge anymore, might beable to get him to just give it to me. will hooking it up to the D3 charge the ipod? cus if so, then we might be in business

Yes, the D3's ipod cable provides power to the ipod, so if the battery doesn't hold a charge it should still work.

How old is the ipod? The new ones came out around Sept. 2007, so if it's older than that, it's the previous generation and should work fine. If you want to be sure, it should have a model number on the back of it.

The 5th & 5.5 gen ipods had a flat plastic face plate:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a6/Ipod_5th_Generation_white_rotated.png/389px-Ipod_5th_Generation_white_rotated.png

The 6th gen (classic) ipods have a rounded/contoured aluminum face plate:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e0/IPod_classic_cropped.png/354px-IPod_classic_cropped.png