AVIC411.com

On the fence F90BT or DNX 8120

I too purchased the Kenwood DNX, Garmin XM Traffic Adapter and 3 year extended warranty for $1,360 (paid only $1048 for the unit) using the coupon code AFLKEN1098 at 6ave.com.. Also, remember that 6 ave is an authorized online dealer for Kenwood and Pioneer so you get the 2 year warranty as well as the an additional warranty if purchased.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ehhh I've had the kenwood DNX8120 series and was sick of the screen freezing over and over during navigation and/or video/audio playback. Got the d3 for 600 with everything and haven't gotten a problem except for the stupid antenna adapter from scosche which was bad. Some people like Pioneer, some poeple like Kenwood, some people like JVC. However, there is this saying all over the world: "Never buy a first-year product because chances are, they will be full of bugs". You people should know this by now. It comes with all electronics. I've seen the f series in action in my buddy's tc and wasn't impressed at all. Also, he had problems with navigation and when i checked his wiring, it was all loose and the navigation antenna was taped under the dash giving bad signal. Same happened to my friends d3 which i re-did the wiring and everything is good. Some people just don't know how to install things and bitch about it. Some others experience true bugs. I've learned not to buy first-year production products myself...NEVER AGAIN

I had the same problem with my 8120 but fixed it today. Thanks to Kenwood tech support. THEY ARE AWESOME. A hell of a lot better then my experiences with Pioneer. That is where the big difference is. The few times I have called them I have spoke with a different person and they have all been very receptive and helpful. Rarely did I get such help from Pioneer. Anyway, they sent me a link to re-update the unit and the problem is solved.

Yeah, it sounds like you guys may have gotten some of the units that were supposed to be recalled for a firmware update. That happened the first week they were out with the initial batch. Crutchfield had them for few days when they came out then they pulled them and sent them all back to Kenwood for the firmware update. There may have been old stock floating around in other distribution centers for other shops that never got sent back.

You can tell if you had one of the updated units by a green circular sticker on the outside of the box that said "Updated" or something to that effect. If you did not have a sticker on your box that would explain the freeze ups.

Kenwood said the serial I had, had the latest firmware(which i doubt) and after sending the unit back, they said the unit was fine. Ehhh dealing with BS is not my cup of tea. But to each his own. Kenwood has some good units. Pioneer has some good units, JVC has some good units. Some chinese no-name units are also pretty good. That's why there's a price difference, it's called competition.

I don't need the BT features (car is too noisy with sunroof & windows open - which is how I usually drive), so I went with the Kenwood DNX5120, HD Receiver and Garmin FM Traffic tuner. Not needing BT, I got what I DO want for less than the F900/F90 would have cost me without the HD Receiver.

Screen size is between Pioneer F series and Kenwood 7120/8120 ... very comfortable to me. Love the USB MP3 playback. DVD playback is very nice (considering it's on such a tiny screen compared to my 50" main display in the house :) ). I like being able to set the NAV subsystem to work while moving via a menu pick and not having to muck around with "bypassing" things that can cause insurance issues if I were to have an accident and it's discovered that the safety feature was disabled. Love Garmin navigation. :)

pat----

I'm having my 8120 installed tomorrow.

Any features, or special considerations regarding the install that you can think of? Example, I'm asking them to ground the safety wire/switch for those rare occassions I want to mess with a DVD, etc. while in motion . . . what else, or is that the only "custom" direction I should request?

Thanks

I had the same problem with my 8120 but fixed it today. Thanks to Kenwood tech support. THEY ARE AWESOME. A hell of a lot better then my experiences with Pioneer. That is where the big difference is. The few times I have called them I have spoke with a different person and they have all been very receptive and helpful. Rarely did I get such help from Pioneer. Anyway, they sent me a link to re-update the unit and the problem is solved.

would you send me that link for re-updating the unit please...i have the same problem. i hate to send my unit back, i rather have the update. thanks.